Nov 7, 2012, 11:30 PM EDT
Anderson Varejao has been fantastic this young season for Cleveland — 14 points a game on 65.8 percent shooting, plus 15 rebounds a game. He has grabbed 25 percent of the available rebounds when he has been on the floor the first four games (that is Dennis Rodman like). He has been playing like an All-Star.
So Cleveland is really going to miss him Wednesday night, and maybe longer.
Varejao banged knees in the Cavs Monday night win over the Clippers, and while his knee hurt he played through it. Then after the game it swelled up and come the Cavs game Wednesday against the Warriors, he could not go.
That’s two rotation big men on a Cavs team that isn’t exactly deep. Coach Byron Scott is not thrilled.
“Tyler was playing great. We know how Andy was playing, unbelievable. You lose not only two of your best players, you lose your size as well,” Scott said before his team faced the Warriors. “Again, we just got other guys who are going to come in and try to pick up the slack for what both those guys brought to the table.”
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 5
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 39
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?