Bradley Beal says “too many people in my ear” with advice

Nov 7, 2012, 2:55 PM EST

Bradley Beal AP

Like pretty much everyone in a Wizards uniform, Bradley Beal has had a tough start to the season.

Washington’s No. 3 overall pick is shooting 15.4 percent, is finding it hard to get looks and has generally looked pretty overwhelmed as a starter. Like most rookies do. And Beal is far from the only Wizard looking that way, even a veteran like Trevor Ariza has look spun around.

Beal almost certainly will also get it together at some point. The kid is 19, he gets some slack. But right now he is getting a lot of advice on how to change things up — too much advice, he told CSNWashington.com.

“You always have people who think they know the answers to everything,” Beal said. “People texting me and calling me. ‘You gotta do this; you gotta do this.’

“I have too many people in my ear, so I have to eliminate that and keep my circle small and focus on what the team needs to do and what I need to do. I know a lot of people want me to do this, this and this, but that’s not important to me. We’re trying to get wins. We’re 0-2 so we have to figure out how to get wins and the outside people need to stay on the outside.”

That right there is why I think Beal figures it out — that was a smart, mature response. You listen to your coach, a shooting coach, maybe one or two trusted advisors and that is it. Everything else is just noise.

It’s going to be a rough year of learning a lot of lessons the hard way for Beal, although someday when he’s on the court with John Wall and Nene he might find more room.

But he seems to have his head on right. And eventually the shots will start to fall.

1. truthplainandsimple - Nov 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Or…Bradley Beal is a 6’3 shooting guard that is (as of right now) only a shooter. I’m not trying to down the young man, but it still baffles me how he was a #3 pick. Your starting PG is bigger, taller and longer than your SG, and unless your starting PG is Magic Johnson, that’s not necessarily a recipe for success. Small SGs like Wade (who’s really not small, just technically measures shorter) or Billups (who’s really a PG, but can score, defend bigger and distribute–not to mention he play’s with CP3) or Ray Allen have exceptional athleticism, length and/or skillls. At best, I think he’s a 6th man that can give you good scoring off of the bench.

• dondada10 - Nov 7, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Bradley Beal = Dajuan Wagner

• tcclark - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Allen Iverson had a hell of a career as a SG and was a generous 6 ft. He was the MVP as a SG.

Jerry West is arguably the greatest SG of all time and was only 6’2.

Dave Bing was only 6’3 and is one of the 50 Greatest Players of All time.

Hal Greer was 6’2

Bill Sharman was 6’1

If you want some current example everyone on this list is 6’4 or shorter (aside from DWade and Chauncey who you’ve already listed):

OJ Mayo
      Steph Curry
      Lou Williams
      Marcus Thornton
      Jason Terry
      Ben Gordon

All of those players have made a living scoring in high numbers and are all good shooters. Beal was brought in to do the same

2. shockexchange - Nov 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Is it too late for the Shock Exchange to advise him to stay in school?

3. eugenesaxe - Nov 7, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Too many in his ear, not enough talented people on the court.

4. rtfinch - Nov 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM

It’s easy to get on him now. Lets be patient and see what happens when John Wall comes back. Hate him all you want, but with Ariza and Beal, Wall can be the set-up man he is naturally. Until then they’re stuck with A.J. Price (a third string point guard last year) and Jordan Crawford (the only shot he doesnt like is the one someone else takes).

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches