Nov 7, 2012, 7:48 AM EDT
Our nightly recap of every game around the NBA. We catch you up on what you missed while you were watching the election results roll in….
Nuggets 109, Pistons 97: Denver got its first win in its home opener with a balanced attack — Andre Iguodala had 17 points (9 in the fourth quarter and he took charge when Detroit made a late run) plus 10 rebounds, while Ty Lawson and Kenneth Faried each had 15. Plus, we had a JaVale McGee sighting, he had 16 points off the bench. Denver also dominated in the paint, winning the rebounding battle 52-35 and they outscored Detroit in the paint by 12.
For a team that a lot of people were high on coming into the season, Denver still looked sluggish. Their pick-and-roll defense is spotty (at best). They need to find a way to drain the three ball consistently — they hit 4 of their first 6 to help take an early lead but were 6-of-24 the rest of the way. Still, it’s a win and they will take it. As for Detroit, the got 17 from Rodney Stuckey who played better, and Greg Monroe had 27. But aside that… it’s shaping up to be a long season in the Motor City.
Bulls 99, Magic 93: We need to give new Magic coach Jacque Vaughn credit — he is getting a team not deep with talent to compete night in and night out. The Magic were without Jameer Nelson, Hedo Turkoglu and Al Harrington for this one, but they came in 2-0 and didn’t make it easy on the Bulls. It took a 12-2 Chicago run at the start of the fourth quarter to give the Bulls a lead that they never gave up.
Late in the game with the game still within 5 at points, Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau went with his best defensive lineup and hoped it could get enough offense. Jimmy Butler hit some shots then Taj Gibson stepped up with the huge and-1 dunk to make it six-point lead with :39 seconds left and that was all she wrote. Luol Deng led the way for Chicago with 23 points and 8 rebounds, while Joakim Noah finished with 20, nine boards and five blocks. On the Orlando side, Aaron Afflalo had 28 points and E’Twaun Moore added 17.
- Tony Parker, Spurs penetration is puzzle Grizzlies can’t solve 1
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 6
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 35
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?