Nov 6, 2012, 1:38 PM EDT
You may not think L.A. fans are all that passionate about their basketball — and the people in the lower bowl seats at most Lakers home games are there to be seen more than they are to cheer on the basketball, so the reputation is at least based on something real.
But just as many across the country hate the Lakers for varying reasons, there’s a large contingent in southern California that feels the same way. And they come out in force when the Clippers and the Lakers play at Staples Center.
The reason for the brief lesson in L.A. fandom is due to the fact that Lakers’ guard Steve Blake was fined $25K for ”directing inappropriate language toward a fan,” according to a league release. The incident took place with 29.2 seconds left in a game the Lakers lost.
It’s never OK for a player to go after a fan, for any reason, so the fine is justified.
But given the animosity Clippers fans have towards the Lakers and their fans — and now that the Clips actually have a team on the floor that can do a lot more than just compete — I guess what I’m saying is, it’s not at all a surprise that it was a Clippers fan (or fans) who were the ones to get under Blake’s skin.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 20
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona