Nov 6, 2012, 1:38 PM EST
You may not think L.A. fans are all that passionate about their basketball — and the people in the lower bowl seats at most Lakers home games are there to be seen more than they are to cheer on the basketball, so the reputation is at least based on something real.
But just as many across the country hate the Lakers for varying reasons, there’s a large contingent in southern California that feels the same way. And they come out in force when the Clippers and the Lakers play at Staples Center.
The reason for the brief lesson in L.A. fandom is due to the fact that Lakers’ guard Steve Blake was fined $25K for “directing inappropriate language toward a fan,” according to a league release. The incident took place with 29.2 seconds left in a game the Lakers lost.
It’s never OK for a player to go after a fan, for any reason, so the fine is justified.
But given the animosity Clippers fans have towards the Lakers and their fans — and now that the Clips actually have a team on the floor that can do a lot more than just compete — I guess what I’m saying is, it’s not at all a surprise that it was a Clippers fan (or fans) who were the ones to get under Blake’s skin.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 18
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13