Nov 6, 2012, 10:55 PM EDT
The Toronto Raptors got shelled by the Oklahoma City Thunder tonight, 108-88, but one loss in a great big season is likely the last thing on the mind of everyone in the Raptors organization right now. Emerging star Kyle Lowry, who has started the season as hot as anyone north of James Harden, has been the key to the Raptors being competitive this season. He’s slashed, hit shots from incredible range, and rebounded his tail off. Lowry is really the working man’s point guard — tough and relentless — so maybe that’s why it’s so difficult to watch him roll his ankle on a total freak play.
There’s no telling how bad the injury is yet, but Lowry’s reaction is an early indicator that this might be more serious than a day-to-day thing. Let’s make one thing clear — Jose Calderon is a solid point guard, but Toronto’s chances of reaching the playoffs fly out of the window if Lowry is out for an extended period of time. He’s the only player on the roster capable of breaking down a defense and distributing, and there really isn’t any area where having Lowry on the floor hurts you. He’s a complete player who takes nothing off the table, and last I checked, the Raptors don’t have many of those guys around.
We’ll keep you updated as more details come out about the injury, but keep your fingers crossed and hope that one of the most exciting players in the game escapes this relatively unscathed.
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 11
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9