Nov 6, 2012, 6:33 PM EDT
Our own Brett Pollakoff called this in his original post on the news — Hornets coach Monty Williams was going to be writing a check to the league.
Tuesday the NBA fined Williams $25,000 for his comments critical of the league’s concussion policy.
The next night the Hornets traveled to Davis’ hometown of Chicago to take on the Bulls but Davis did not make the much-anticipated trip. Under the league’s concussion policy which began last season, Davis must pass a series of tests and be cleared by a league neurologist before he’s allowed to return to the court.
Williams went with the silly “old school tough guy comments” on the issue.
“He got touched up a little bit last night. That happens a lot in basketball. It’s just that now they treat everybody like they have white gloves and pink drawers and it’s getting old. It’s just the way the league is now….
“We’ve got to protect the players, but I think the players should have more say so in how they feel. I’m sure I had four or five concussions when I played, and it didn’t bother me. The NBA is doing what’s necessary to protect the players, but this is not the NFL. You don’t get hit in the head that much.”
The very point of the policy is to protect the players from themselves and teams pressuring them to play. This is not us guessing concussions are bad — there is a huge body of evidence showing that repeated concussions have serious long-term impacts on the brain. They need to fully heal. The league should not take risks like that with players’ health, there is a time to step in and say this is not something they can decide for themselves.
All of which is to say, Williams was wrong. And it’s going to cost him.
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 3
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44