Nov 6, 2012, 12:45 PM EST
Gerald Henderson is having the worst week ever. It started about seven days ago, when the Bobcats opted not to extend his contract, despite the fact that he led them in scoring during the 2011-12 season. Then, Henderson had to watch draft classmate DeMar DeRozan get 40 million dollars over four years, despite the fact they’ve had very similar careers to this point. And today’s news? Henderson just found out he’ll be watching from the sideline for a while.
B.J. Evans (@BobcatsBballPR) November 06, 2012
Losing Henderson for upwards to a month is a tough blow for the Bobcats, both for developmental reasons and because they’re supposed to thrive on high pressure, aggressive defense under new head coach Mike Dunlap. When Ben Gordon and Matt Carroll are the other two shooting guards on your roster, that task becomes a little tougher.
What it does provide, however, is a chance for Kemba Walker to carve out a true scoring role next to Ramon Sessions at point guard. That’s a tiny backcourt, but it’s not like Gordon and Carroll are hulking monsters. Welker has a little bit of Lou Williams in him and is probably best suited as a sixth man scorer off the bench, but in Charlotte, he’s now the top offensive option. That’s a recipe for disaster, of course, and it’s only magnified by losing Henderson.
There is no delusion that the Bobcats are going to contend here, but the next month without Henderson will make life even rougher on the ol’ Bobs.
- What rust? Russell Westbrook returns, puts up 32 points in 24 minutes (VIDEO) 0
- NBA denies Kings’ protest 2
- Russell Westbrook returns to court tonight for Thunder vs. Knicks 9
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 11
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 8