Nov 6, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
Gerald Henderson is having the worst week ever. It started about seven days ago, when the Bobcats opted not to extend his contract, despite the fact that he led them in scoring during the 2011-12 season. Then, Henderson had to watch draft classmate DeMar DeRozan get 40 million dollars over four years, despite the fact they’ve had very similar careers to this point. And today’s news? Henderson just found out he’ll be watching from the sideline for a while.
B.J. Evans (@BobcatsBballPR) November 06, 2012
Losing Henderson for upwards to a month is a tough blow for the Bobcats, both for developmental reasons and because they’re supposed to thrive on high pressure, aggressive defense under new head coach Mike Dunlap. When Ben Gordon and Matt Carroll are the other two shooting guards on your roster, that task becomes a little tougher.
What it does provide, however, is a chance for Kemba Walker to carve out a true scoring role next to Ramon Sessions at point guard. That’s a tiny backcourt, but it’s not like Gordon and Carroll are hulking monsters. Welker has a little bit of Lou Williams in him and is probably best suited as a sixth man scorer off the bench, but in Charlotte, he’s now the top offensive option. That’s a recipe for disaster, of course, and it’s only magnified by losing Henderson.
There is no delusion that the Bobcats are going to contend here, but the next month without Henderson will make life even rougher on the ol’ Bobs.
- Mike Krzyzewski might coach USA Basketball in 2016 Olympics 0
- George Hill not yet cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks, remains a game-time decision 1
- Report: Bobcats changing name back to Hornets 24
- Dwyane Wade grants wish, shows up at girl’s senior prom 20
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 60
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay