Nov 6, 2012, 12:45 PM EST
Gerald Henderson is having the worst week ever. It started about seven days ago, when the Bobcats opted not to extend his contract, despite the fact that he led them in scoring during the 2011-12 season. Then, Henderson had to watch draft classmate DeMar DeRozan get 40 million dollars over four years, despite the fact they’ve had very similar careers to this point. And today’s news? Henderson just found out he’ll be watching from the sideline for a while.
B.J. Evans (@BobcatsBballPR) November 06, 2012
Losing Henderson for upwards to a month is a tough blow for the Bobcats, both for developmental reasons and because they’re supposed to thrive on high pressure, aggressive defense under new head coach Mike Dunlap. When Ben Gordon and Matt Carroll are the other two shooting guards on your roster, that task becomes a little tougher.
What it does provide, however, is a chance for Kemba Walker to carve out a true scoring role next to Ramon Sessions at point guard. That’s a tiny backcourt, but it’s not like Gordon and Carroll are hulking monsters. Welker has a little bit of Lou Williams in him and is probably best suited as a sixth man scorer off the bench, but in Charlotte, he’s now the top offensive option. That’s a recipe for disaster, of course, and it’s only magnified by losing Henderson.
There is no delusion that the Bobcats are going to contend here, but the next month without Henderson will make life even rougher on the ol’ Bobs.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 10
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14