Nov 6, 2012, 12:26 PM EDT
Nick Young‘s detractors would say that he’s a gunner with a low basketball IQ who shoots without conscience, and without a regard for consequences.
And if they watched even just the first quarter of the Sixers’ blowout loss to the Knicks on Monday, they would likely have sore necks this morning from nodding in agreement with themselves so vigorously.
Young was an offensive disaster to open the game, playing less than six first-quarter minutes off the bench, but managing to jack up seven shots during that span while connecting only once.
Missing shots isn’t the end of the world, if they’re open looks that come within the flow of the offense. But looking at a couple of Young’s possessions, whatever he was doing out there was pretty much the exact opposite of flawless execution.
Twenty seconds into this clip, Young receives the ball on the wing behind the three-point line. In his defense, he was put in a tough situation here with under five seconds left on the shot clock.
But the decision to try to dribble through two defenders and into a third waiting for him in the paint wasn’t wise, and the decision to — what was that, a pass? — wasn’t any wiser. And the desperation heave to end it all was just plain ugly; clearly, Young has seen this Rajon Rondo highlight one too many times.
This next one, though [via EOB] is possibly one of the worst offensive choices in recent memory.
Ten seconds left on the clock, falling out of bounds, and the two words that flash before your eyes are … SHOOT IT?
Nick Young in YOLO mode, at his finest.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 0
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 15
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18