Nash return now estimated at 7-to-10 days; Kobe skips practice

Nov 5, 2012, 7:07 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Steve Nash of Canada and Kobe Bryant react during their loss to the Dallas Mavericks during their NBA basketball game in Los Angeles Reuters

It’s time for some Lakers injury updates, featuring Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant.

The Lakers are going to be cautious with Steve Nash and take their time, so if you ask if they will wait a month they will say they will wait a month.

But the original reports of a week or so are more accurate. Here is a tweet from Ken Berger of CBSSports.com that gets to the point.

The Lakers looked like they started to find their footing against Detroit on Sunday, pounding the ball inside and having Dwight Howard dominate. But they are never really going to find a flow until Nash is back out there with Kobe and Howard and Pau Gasol. So for the Lakers, the sooner the better. But you don’t want to rush things.

Kobe Bryant sat out the Lakers practice on Monday, getting more treatment on the sore right foot he has been playing through, reports Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News.

Lakers Coach Mike Brown said Bryant’s absence doesn’t mean his foot worsened. It’s just that Monday’s 90-minute practice consisted of nothing more than a film session and walk through. Bryant took more efficient use of his time by treating his foot instead….

“I’m not as sore as I was after the last game,” said Bryant, who scored 40 points in the Lakers’ loss Friday to the Clippers in 43 minutes. “My ankle is not as sore. It’s a good thing. We have a tough game in Utah and I have 2 ½ days to try to get to 100%, which it should be.”

Kobe’s shooting 59.7 percent this season, he’s not the guy to worry about on the Lakers right now. If Lakers fans really want to worry about something, watch their bench play.

1. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Nov 5, 2012 at 7:22 PM

No need to rush on Nash. I rather see it as an opportunity for Blake to step up and show his worth and prove his detractors wrong.

2. pistolpete0903 - Nov 5, 2012 at 8:39 PM

If he can’t practise, he can’t practise. I mean it is one practise man. We are talking about practise man!!!

• mytthor - Nov 5, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Actually we’re talking about practice.

3. themagicfanguy - Nov 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM

“Blake to step up and show his worth”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• kavika6 - Nov 5, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I don’t like Blake’s attitude since he became a Laker, but he’s definitely been better than Nash. Nash has been worthless. Time to retire, eh.

4. mazblast - Nov 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Has Kobe EVER been anything but “day to day” and “injured”? It’s always something with this drama queen.

Now that Nash is a Laker, he’s going the same route. I’m not saying he’s not hurt, but every little twinge is magnified a hundredfold when you’re a Laker.

5. lakerluver - Nov 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM

@mazblast
    Dude, you’re a freakin IDIOT! “Drama queen”?!! Kobe is the toughest player in the league. Maybe you should just read and not comment for awhile. Allow posters, such as myself, to educate you.

6. jerdogthompson - Nov 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Laker fans rejoice you drew a team 2-3 notches up from the Bobcats and every beat writer in LA is singing your praises.

Nothing but exemplary comments about how well the offense looked and the defense too. Good luck in Utah and and by the way be sure to tell dipwad Spurs are in town come Tuesday. Best of luck. I really do mean that.

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Nov 6, 2012 at 6:40 PM

What do you expect us to do? Whimper?

Yeah, right.

7. isujames - Nov 6, 2012 at 7:00 AM

@lakerluver, The toughest player in the league huh, yea right give me a break and who measures toughness in the league???? I hope your Laker fanatical a$$ is not the judge of that, kobe is as soft as your muscles are.

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Nov 6, 2012 at 6:38 PM

So enlighten us then. What do YOU know about toughness?

All that talk behind your computer, I see.

Talk is cheap.

8. paulhargis53 - Nov 6, 2012 at 8:42 AM

isu, Kobe is as soft as lakerluver on a room full of naked women…get it right!

• mytthor - Nov 6, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Dude, seriously, does it always have to be some crap homophobic insult. Lakerluver can be ridiculous, but good lord. Have you ever heard the expression “methinks thou dost protest overmuch?”

By the way, I noticed you wanted to make a bet with lakerluver about him or you leaving the site based on how far the Lakers went, and called him a “coward” for not responding. (Based on internet comments? get a life.)

But I’d like to repeat my offer to take you up on that bet.

9. paulhargis53 - Nov 6, 2012 at 8:55 AM

*in

10. omniusprime - Nov 6, 2012 at 9:09 AM

A long week is better than a whole month being out. The Lakers need all hands on deck to start piling up the victories to get a good playoff spot. Nash needs to get back so we’re not at the mercy of Steve Flake playing point guard too much. Where is Derek Fisher?

• limonadamas - Nov 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM

To be fair, Blake’s actually been playing well this year in the Princeton, which he has some experience with back in Washington. I’m a bit skittish on Nash returning at any point before he’s 100%. The Laker medical staff does not inspire confidence to me, at least compared to the Suns staff.

11. isujames - Nov 6, 2012 at 10:02 AM

LOL!!!!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches