Kenyon Martin says he will play for anyone. At league minimum.

Nov 5, 2012, 10:01 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v San Antonio Spurs - Game Two Getty Images

Kenyon Martin doesn’t have an NBA team.

Which seems a little strange — at age 34 last season he struggled a little with knee issues and that led to shooting struggles (he shot 44.8 percent last season, down from 51 percent the season before) and rebounding issues. His PER fell to 9.8. But his knee is healthy now and when you look at teams around the league you can’t think someone shouldn’t give Martin a chance.

Reports within the last week said Martin only wanted to play for a contender and for more than the league minimum. Which certainly limited the pool of teams, and none of those fish bit.

But Martin told Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports he would take the league minimum and play for anyone.

“If someone calls me tomorrow, I don’t care who it is, whether it’s losing or winning at this point,” Martin said. “If someone calls me tomorrow and wants me to come in, I’m going. Guys are going down and [teams] are like, ‘Well, we are going to stick with what we got.’ I’m like, ‘Really?’ I started questioning myself, ‘Am I that bad of a guy?’ “

His reputation as a challenging guy in the locker room is certainly not helping his cause right now. Spears spoke to Neil Olshey, the current Trail Blazers GM who was head man with the Clippers last season when they had K-Mart, and he spoke glowingly of him. Olshey said Martin was the guy who held others accountable in the locker room and the team needed that.

Martin thinks he’s misunderstood.

“There is a notion about me that is not accurate at all – I don’t know who started it or where it came from – that people can’t control me,” Martin told Yahoo! Sports. “I don’t understand. Have I had my issues like a lot of other people? Yeah. But I’m getting back that people think they can’t control me, that if I don’t play I’m going to explode, or I can turn a locker room.

“In 12 years there was not one day where I told one guy to dislike anybody. If you ask guys who I’ve played with that know me, they know what it is and know I’m about winning basketball games and competing.”

It’s early in the season, teams are not willing to shake up what they have yet, injuries have not hit teams that hard yet (save Golden State and Brandon Rush). But something is going to change, and when it does Martin is going to get his call. Maybe not this week, but it will happen soon.

1. 00maltliquor - Nov 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Well, well, well…looks whos finally come to their senses.

-LAKERS! We got ONE more roster spot open. Jim, MITCHY, Delonte West, Kenyon Martin and Mickeal Pietrus are all out there on the market and you KNOW they hurtin’, and so is our bench. I’mma need you to make like a 14 year old school girl and stay on your phone until one of these guys is on a plane flight out to Los Angeles, NOW! C’mon buddy, I KNOW you can pull it off!

2. mogogo1 - Nov 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM

So, a supposedly healthy 34-year-old Kenyon Martin wants to play but a 38-year-old Rasheed Wallace gets signed first, despite being so out-of-shape it took three weeks before he was allowed to practice? Yeah, that makes total sense… Gotta love how the great minds of the NBA work!

• 00maltliquor - Nov 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM

To be fair, Rasheed signed for next to nothing while K Mart was demanding a mid-level contract for his services. NY can’t afford that so Rasheed it was.

• mogogo1 - Nov 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Fair point.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Nov 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Sheed is also producing.

Kenyon had his chance to get on this bandwagon when he had a chance.

3. eflem80 - Nov 5, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Knicks, Knicks, Knicks! He’s played with like half the team. Kidd, Smith, Melo, Felton, & Camby have all been his teammate @ some point & Melo has been lobbying for him since last season when he got back from China. Make it happen NY!

• Mr. Wright 212 - Nov 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM

We don’t have a roster spot now. He overvalued himself and Sheed took that final spot.

4. BigBeachBall - Nov 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM

get that tattoo liposuctioned from your neck….

5. progress2011 - Nov 5, 2012 at 2:16 PM

He only has a year (at the very max 3 yrs) to be an effective player.

His skill set never progressed beyond just being a guy that could jump very high.

Shoulda stayed with the Clippers, at least he would have been on a contending team.

Now look at cha….Dum-Dum !

6. humanvue - Nov 5, 2012 at 2:31 PM

If only we could turn the clock back to Martin’s Cincinnati days.

7. readysethike - Nov 5, 2012 at 3:39 PM

the clippers chose not resign him which i thought was odd given he brings the same skill set in his career as ryan hollins and turiaf. i could see dallas givin him a call but ever since that playoff series a few years ago when he was with denver…mark cuban may still be holding a grudge

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches