Nov 5, 2012, 12:27 PM EST
The Nets won their first game of the season but lost a key player in the process. Late in the the victory over the Raptors, Wallace sprained his ankle and left the game. X-rays were negative, he still isn’t recovered enough to play in tonight’s game vs the Timberwolves:
Gerald Wallace and Josh Childress both out tonight with ankle injuries. Keith Bogans will start for Wallace vs Minnesota.—
Howard Beck (@HowardBeckNYT) November 05, 2012
Wallace is listed as day to day but there’s already a feeling he may miss Wednesday’s game against the Heat. Wallace, still one of the leagues best and most physical wing defenders, would be sorely missed against LeBron James should have to sit out that contest.
That said, what’s important isn’t necessarily a match up in early November — even if it’s with the defending champs — but getting Wallace healthy for a long season. The Nets are no longer looking at simply making the playoffs but to make noise once they’re there. The big picture view is what should matter here and if Wallace happens to be out through this week, the team should be able to survive just fine. Expect Joe Johnson to play more small forward and for Marshon Brooks to get more burn at shooting guard in the process.
- Spurs get a little revenge, along with season’s signature win in takedown of Heat 0
- Suns’ rookie Alex Len takes to court with #prayforukraine on shoes 16
- Paul George wants LeBron James to be his mentor 39
- Report: Joakim Noah recruiting Carmelo Anthony to Chicago Bulls 41
- The Extra Pass: Four teams for three spots in West playoff race 7