Nov 5, 2012, 12:27 PM EST
The Nets won their first game of the season but lost a key player in the process. Late in the the victory over the Raptors, Wallace sprained his ankle and left the game. X-rays were negative, he still isn’t recovered enough to play in tonight’s game vs the Timberwolves:
Wallace is listed as day to day but there’s already a feeling he may miss Wednesday’s game against the Heat. Wallace, still one of the leagues best and most physical wing defenders, would be sorely missed against LeBron James should have to sit out that contest.
That said, what’s important isn’t necessarily a match up in early November — even if it’s with the defending champs — but getting Wallace healthy for a long season. The Nets are no longer looking at simply making the playoffs but to make noise once they’re there. The big picture view is what should matter here and if Wallace happens to be out through this week, the team should be able to survive just fine. Expect Joe Johnson to play more small forward and for Marshon Brooks to get more burn at shooting guard in the process.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 0
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13