Nov 5, 2012, 12:27 PM EST
The Nets won their first game of the season but lost a key player in the process. Late in the the victory over the Raptors, Wallace sprained his ankle and left the game. X-rays were negative, he still isn’t recovered enough to play in tonight’s game vs the Timberwolves:
Gerald Wallace and Josh Childress both out tonight with ankle injuries. Keith Bogans will start for Wallace vs Minnesota.—
Howard Beck (@HowardBeckNYT) November 05, 2012
Wallace is listed as day to day but there’s already a feeling he may miss Wednesday’s game against the Heat. Wallace, still one of the leagues best and most physical wing defenders, would be sorely missed against LeBron James should have to sit out that contest.
That said, what’s important isn’t necessarily a match up in early November — even if it’s with the defending champs — but getting Wallace healthy for a long season. The Nets are no longer looking at simply making the playoffs but to make noise once they’re there. The big picture view is what should matter here and if Wallace happens to be out through this week, the team should be able to survive just fine. Expect Joe Johnson to play more small forward and for Marshon Brooks to get more burn at shooting guard in the process.
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 8
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 17
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 32
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 8
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (51)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)