Nov 5, 2012, 10:22 AM EDT
You may not know Jason Levien, but Josh Harris likely doesn’t own the Philadelphia 76ers without him. Levien, a former agent and Sacramento Kings executive, helped bring together the Harris deal and became a minority owner in the Philly franchise.
Now he’s out so he can take a larger role with the new ownership in Memphis, reports CSNPhilly.com. Levin will be the Grizzlies CEO and managing partner — meaning he will oversee both the basketball and business sides of the operation.
Levien helped broker the deal where Robert Pera bought the Grizzlies as well, but in that case he is going to get a larger front office role, which is what he wanted. (In Philly, Doug Collins has a lot of the power.)
“I’m honored to be part of such a dynamic and potential-filled opportunity here in Memphis,” Levien said in a statement released by the Grizzlies. “I appreciate what a special role the Grizzlies and FedExForum play in the Memphis community and I know that we will build successfully on the foundation already in place.”
New owner Pera has big plans in Memphis — he wants a franchise that is more technologically savvy, both using advanced analytics on the basketball side and keeping up with how his fans consume media and the Grizzlies on the business side. He’s young, has energy and will bring some of that to a franchise that could use it.
It’s a good spot for Levien, he’s got a great role now.
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 9
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 10
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 24
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 16
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement