Nov 5, 2012, 10:22 AM EDT
You may not know Jason Levien, but Josh Harris likely doesn’t own the Philadelphia 76ers without him. Levien, a former agent and Sacramento Kings executive, helped bring together the Harris deal and became a minority owner in the Philly franchise.
Now he’s out so he can take a larger role with the new ownership in Memphis, reports CSNPhilly.com. Levin will be the Grizzlies CEO and managing partner — meaning he will oversee both the basketball and business sides of the operation.
Levien helped broker the deal where Robert Pera bought the Grizzlies as well, but in that case he is going to get a larger front office role, which is what he wanted. (In Philly, Doug Collins has a lot of the power.)
“I’m honored to be part of such a dynamic and potential-filled opportunity here in Memphis,” Levien said in a statement released by the Grizzlies. “I appreciate what a special role the Grizzlies and FedExForum play in the Memphis community and I know that we will build successfully on the foundation already in place.”
New owner Pera has big plans in Memphis — he wants a franchise that is more technologically savvy, both using advanced analytics on the basketball side and keeping up with how his fans consume media and the Grizzlies on the business side. He’s young, has energy and will bring some of that to a franchise that could use it.
It’s a good spot for Levien, he’s got a great role now.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 18
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 25
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 4
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 10
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31