Nov 5, 2012, 9:29 PM EDT
When you get around to doing your NBA All-Star voting this year, it will be a little different — you will vote for two guards and three frontcourt players per conference. The NBA wisely decided to get rid of the center position on the ballot because it simply didn’t fit with today’s game — do you define Chris Bosh and Kevin Garnett as centers? They are both playing the five for their teams.
Dwight Howard doesn’t like it.
Frankly, it shouldn’t effect him — hard to see him not being voted in as a West starter — but that doesn’t mean he has to like it, he told Mark Medina of the Daily News.
“I don’t like it at all,” Howard said. “We work just as hard as anybody else. I don’t think it’s fair to take away a position that’s been here for life. You need a center on the court. So I don’t think it’s right. That’s like taking away a guard….
“There are so many great guards and great forwards that they just overshadow what these centers can do,” Howard said. I think there are a lot of centers that can really play, but you got guys like LeBron (James) and Kevin Durant who are 6’8”, Kevin Durant is 6’11”, 6’10”, who shoot 3s. It just overshadows a lot of the bigs that can play.”
There will always be a place in the league for a dominant true centers. Dwight Howard would change the game in any generation. Andrew Bynum, Roy Hibbert, players of that ilk will always have value as game changes. And if they are good enough, they will always be All-Stars.
The size and athleticism of big men today changes everything about the game and strategies. We talk about the Heat going small with Bosh at center, but back at his combine he measured 6’10” in socks, better than 6’11” in shoes. He’s not a traditional center but he’s not small. Same with KG and others. The game is evolving, the All-Star ballot should as well.
Bottom line Dwight, I hear you. I feel your pain. But you are wrong.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37