Nov 5, 2012, 9:29 PM EDT
When you get around to doing your NBA All-Star voting this year, it will be a little different — you will vote for two guards and three frontcourt players per conference. The NBA wisely decided to get rid of the center position on the ballot because it simply didn’t fit with today’s game — do you define Chris Bosh and Kevin Garnett as centers? They are both playing the five for their teams.
Dwight Howard doesn’t like it.
Frankly, it shouldn’t effect him — hard to see him not being voted in as a West starter — but that doesn’t mean he has to like it, he told Mark Medina of the Daily News.
“I don’t like it at all,” Howard said. “We work just as hard as anybody else. I don’t think it’s fair to take away a position that’s been here for life. You need a center on the court. So I don’t think it’s right. That’s like taking away a guard….
“There are so many great guards and great forwards that they just overshadow what these centers can do,” Howard said. I think there are a lot of centers that can really play, but you got guys like LeBron (James) and Kevin Durant who are 6’8”, Kevin Durant is 6’11”, 6’10”, who shoot 3s. It just overshadows a lot of the bigs that can play.”
There will always be a place in the league for a dominant true centers. Dwight Howard would change the game in any generation. Andrew Bynum, Roy Hibbert, players of that ilk will always have value as game changes. And if they are good enough, they will always be All-Stars.
The size and athleticism of big men today changes everything about the game and strategies. We talk about the Heat going small with Bosh at center, but back at his combine he measured 6’10” in socks, better than 6’11” in shoes. He’s not a traditional center but he’s not small. Same with KG and others. The game is evolving, the All-Star ballot should as well.
Bottom line Dwight, I hear you. I feel your pain. But you are wrong.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 49
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18