Nov 5, 2012, 8:40 AM EST
Evan Turner needs something — he is averaging 5 points a game on 28.6 percent shooting so far this season. That is a slump… let’s hope it’s a slump. For Turner’s sake lets hope he can turn it around
Sixers coach Doug Collins told CSNPhilly.con’s John Finger that he has an idea of how to bring Turner back around.
A couple of weeks ago, Sixers coach Doug Collins was watching the movie “The Legend of Bagger Vance” and it immediately put his mind in motion.
Collins thought, what if he could mentor third-year guard Evan Turner and help him get “unlocked” the way Will Smith’s character, Bagger Vance, worked with golfer Rannulph Junuh, played by Matt Damon.
Let’s start here — why is anyone watching Bagger Vance? Will Smith preaching Eastern philosophy on the golf course? Ugh, go watch Tin Cup again instead. Okay, moving on now…
Turner was working hard against the Knicks on Sunday, as evidenced by his 11 rebounds, but his shot is still on hiatus. Collins thinks he’ll break through soon.
“I thought Evan rebounded the ball well today,” Collins said. “But other than getting ‘unlocked,’ he just needs a breakout game. Just a breakout game where the ball goes in and he’s in a good rhythm. Right now, he’s just not in a great rhythm, but then again, our team is not [in a great rhythm].”
Turner needs to get “unlocked” if he wants to unlock a bigger contract and an extension to his rookie deal next summer.
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 16
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 20
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 9
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 14
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10