Nov 5, 2012, 8:40 AM EDT
Evan Turner needs something — he is averaging 5 points a game on 28.6 percent shooting so far this season. That is a slump… let’s hope it’s a slump. For Turner’s sake lets hope he can turn it around
Sixers coach Doug Collins told CSNPhilly.con’s John Finger that he has an idea of how to bring Turner back around.
A couple of weeks ago, Sixers coach Doug Collins was watching the movie “The Legend of Bagger Vance” and it immediately put his mind in motion.
Collins thought, what if he could mentor third-year guard Evan Turner and help him get “unlocked” the way Will Smith’s character, Bagger Vance, worked with golfer Rannulph Junuh, played by Matt Damon.
Let’s start here — why is anyone watching Bagger Vance? Will Smith preaching Eastern philosophy on the golf course? Ugh, go watch Tin Cup again instead. Okay, moving on now…
Turner was working hard against the Knicks on Sunday, as evidenced by his 11 rebounds, but his shot is still on hiatus. Collins thinks he’ll break through soon.
“I thought Evan rebounded the ball well today,” Collins said. “But other than getting ‘unlocked,’ he just needs a breakout game. Just a breakout game where the ball goes in and he’s in a good rhythm. Right now, he’s just not in a great rhythm, but then again, our team is not [in a great rhythm].”
Turner needs to get “unlocked” if he wants to unlock a bigger contract and an extension to his rookie deal next summer.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 22
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 24
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8