Nov 5, 2012, 8:40 AM EST
Evan Turner needs something — he is averaging 5 points a game on 28.6 percent shooting so far this season. That is a slump… let’s hope it’s a slump. For Turner’s sake lets hope he can turn it around
Sixers coach Doug Collins told CSNPhilly.con’s John Finger that he has an idea of how to bring Turner back around.
A couple of weeks ago, Sixers coach Doug Collins was watching the movie “The Legend of Bagger Vance” and it immediately put his mind in motion.
Collins thought, what if he could mentor third-year guard Evan Turner and help him get “unlocked” the way Will Smith’s character, Bagger Vance, worked with golfer Rannulph Junuh, played by Matt Damon.
Let’s start here — why is anyone watching Bagger Vance? Will Smith preaching Eastern philosophy on the golf course? Ugh, go watch Tin Cup again instead. Okay, moving on now…
Turner was working hard against the Knicks on Sunday, as evidenced by his 11 rebounds, but his shot is still on hiatus. Collins thinks he’ll break through soon.
“I thought Evan rebounded the ball well today,” Collins said. “But other than getting ‘unlocked,’ he just needs a breakout game. Just a breakout game where the ball goes in and he’s in a good rhythm. Right now, he’s just not in a great rhythm, but then again, our team is not [in a great rhythm].”
Turner needs to get “unlocked” if he wants to unlock a bigger contract and an extension to his rookie deal next summer.
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 0
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 5
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 4
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)