Nov 5, 2012, 4:34 PM EDT
We all watch Inside the NBA on TNT because the personalities make it work — Charles Barkley as the loud mouth, Kenny Smith trying to walk the funny and serious line, Ernie Johnson trying to keep everybody coloring inside the lines. Oh, and Shaq is there.
But Barkley sounds like he’s not having as much fun as we are.
He told Sports Illustrated that while he has four years left on his contract he may not stick with it that long.
“I love my job,” Barkley said. “I love the people I work with. And I’m going to try to do things to keep me engaged. But I have four years left on my current deal and to be honest with you, it’s going to be a struggle for me to make it for the whole four years. I really don’t know how much longer I’m going to do this. I need something more, or something else to do to be honest with you….
“When I got to my fifth year of broadcasting I was like ‘OK, I’ll do this a couple of more years.’ But now I’m like, ‘Dude, you have been doing this for 13 years and if I make it to the end of the contract it will be 17 years.’ Seventeen years is a long time. It’s a lifetime in broadcasting. I personally have to figure out the next challenge for me.”
Like pretty much all his basketball analysis, you have to take everything Barkley says with a grain of salt… actually, a fistful of salt. TNT is already doing things like having him do some color analysis at games to provide a little variety to his diet.
The idea that he is doing this job while starting to look at what he wants to do next is very Barkley. He’s enjoying his life as retired rich basketball celebrity.
Or, he just may want to golf more. Or run for governor of Alabama. Who knows, he could show up on Top Chef and I wouldn’t be shocked.
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 1
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 3
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 58
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 67
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31