Nov 5, 2012, 4:34 PM EDT
We all watch Inside the NBA on TNT because the personalities make it work — Charles Barkley as the loud mouth, Kenny Smith trying to walk the funny and serious line, Ernie Johnson trying to keep everybody coloring inside the lines. Oh, and Shaq is there.
But Barkley sounds like he’s not having as much fun as we are.
He told Sports Illustrated that while he has four years left on his contract he may not stick with it that long.
“I love my job,” Barkley said. “I love the people I work with. And I’m going to try to do things to keep me engaged. But I have four years left on my current deal and to be honest with you, it’s going to be a struggle for me to make it for the whole four years. I really don’t know how much longer I’m going to do this. I need something more, or something else to do to be honest with you….
“When I got to my fifth year of broadcasting I was like ‘OK, I’ll do this a couple of more years.’ But now I’m like, ‘Dude, you have been doing this for 13 years and if I make it to the end of the contract it will be 17 years.’ Seventeen years is a long time. It’s a lifetime in broadcasting. I personally have to figure out the next challenge for me.”
Like pretty much all his basketball analysis, you have to take everything Barkley says with a grain of salt… actually, a fistful of salt. TNT is already doing things like having him do some color analysis at games to provide a little variety to his diet.
The idea that he is doing this job while starting to look at what he wants to do next is very Barkley. He’s enjoying his life as retired rich basketball celebrity.
Or, he just may want to golf more. Or run for governor of Alabama. Who knows, he could show up on Top Chef and I wouldn’t be shocked.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15