Nov 4, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
The “at least” part is most important here, as it appears that the team is taking the smart approach by not putting any pressure on Nash to return to the court sooner than necessary.
Mike Brown said as much after Sunday’s shootaround, via Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles:
“You obviously hope he’s back as soon as possible,” Brown said Sunday after the team’s shootaround. “But the one thing you don’t want to do, you don’t want to compromise his long-term health for him coming back quicker than he should. So, (trainer) Gary Vitti and the staff are on top of it. We’ll just wait and play it out from there.”
Brown’s right — there’s absolutely no hurry here, despite the temptation to hit the panic button as the Lakers continue to drop games early in the season. In fact, Mike Bresnahan, Lakers beat writer for the L.A. Times, cited a Lakers source in reporting that Nash could miss as many as four weeks with this very injury.
No matter the ultimate result, the journey through this NBA season is not going to be an enjoyable one for Lakers fans. There will be a lot of losing to less-talented teams, and a lot of hand-wringing at Brown’s strategies and systems as it takes time for the players to come together and produce like the super-team that was assembled eventually should.
The decision regarding Nash is the right one. No need to bring him back in November if there’s even a chance that he’s dealing with an injury that could hamper him in any way as the season progresses.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 28
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 10
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 14
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23