Nov 4, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
The “at least” part is most important here, as it appears that the team is taking the smart approach by not putting any pressure on Nash to return to the court sooner than necessary.
Mike Brown said as much after Sunday’s shootaround, via Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles:
“You obviously hope he’s back as soon as possible,” Brown said Sunday after the team’s shootaround. “But the one thing you don’t want to do, you don’t want to compromise his long-term health for him coming back quicker than he should. So, (trainer) Gary Vitti and the staff are on top of it. We’ll just wait and play it out from there.”
Brown’s right — there’s absolutely no hurry here, despite the temptation to hit the panic button as the Lakers continue to drop games early in the season. In fact, Mike Bresnahan, Lakers beat writer for the L.A. Times, cited a Lakers source in reporting that Nash could miss as many as four weeks with this very injury.
No matter the ultimate result, the journey through this NBA season is not going to be an enjoyable one for Lakers fans. There will be a lot of losing to less-talented teams, and a lot of hand-wringing at Brown’s strategies and systems as it takes time for the players to come together and produce like the super-team that was assembled eventually should.
The decision regarding Nash is the right one. No need to bring him back in November if there’s even a chance that he’s dealing with an injury that could hamper him in any way as the season progresses.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85