Nov 4, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
The “at least” part is most important here, as it appears that the team is taking the smart approach by not putting any pressure on Nash to return to the court sooner than necessary.
Mike Brown said as much after Sunday’s shootaround, via Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles:
“You obviously hope he’s back as soon as possible,” Brown said Sunday after the team’s shootaround. “But the one thing you don’t want to do, you don’t want to compromise his long-term health for him coming back quicker than he should. So, (trainer) Gary Vitti and the staff are on top of it. We’ll just wait and play it out from there.”
Brown’s right — there’s absolutely no hurry here, despite the temptation to hit the panic button as the Lakers continue to drop games early in the season. In fact, Mike Bresnahan, Lakers beat writer for the L.A. Times, cited a Lakers source in reporting that Nash could miss as many as four weeks with this very injury.
No matter the ultimate result, the journey through this NBA season is not going to be an enjoyable one for Lakers fans. There will be a lot of losing to less-talented teams, and a lot of hand-wringing at Brown’s strategies and systems as it takes time for the players to come together and produce like the super-team that was assembled eventually should.
The decision regarding Nash is the right one. No need to bring him back in November if there’s even a chance that he’s dealing with an injury that could hamper him in any way as the season progresses.
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 8
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 19
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 30