Nov 4, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Cleveland’s head coach, Byron Scott, was less excited about Jennings’ heroics than the rest of us. He told reporters afterward that the clock started late, so therefore the shot shouldn’t have counted.
“I don’t want to get fined, so I’m not going to say anything about the clock starting late,” Cavs coach Byron Scott said. “They have to figure out a way to do something about that.”
“The bottom line is it doesn’t count or you take it out again,” Scott said. “Looking at it again in the locker room, the shot shouldn’t have counted.”
Told he might have crossed the line and might receive a fine from the league for criticizing officials, Scott responded “then too damn bad.”
Watching the replay a few more times, does Scott have a point? Maybe, but only in the sense that a human being being in that position has to wait for the ball to be touched by a player after it’s inbounded before hitting the button to start the clock, and that’s going to cause a split-second delay, however small it may be.
If the clock was started late — and I’m not sure that it was — it didn’t appear to be egregious or intentional. In a situation like this, complaining about it afterward just makes you look like a sore loser.
And, if you can’t have a defensive scheme in place to prevent an open look with less than a second left on the clock? To use Scott’s own words, then it is “too damn bad.”
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 9
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Houston Rockets vs. Dallas Mavericks 15