Nov 3, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT
The news surrounding the Lakers isn’t getting better anytime soon.
The team announced today that Steve Nash has a non-displaced fracture in his left leg, and will be out at least a week. The official release:
Los Angeles Lakers guard Steve Nash was examined by team doctor Steve Lombardo and had an MRI exam. Results of the MRI showed a small non-displaced fracture in the head of his fibula (left leg).
The injury occurred in the second quarter of Wednesday night’s game in Portland against the Trail Blazers. Nash is expected to be out a minimum of a week. He will be re-examined and an update on his condition will be given at that time.
Still no time to panic, but at a minimum, this is yet another setback to add to the list of the Lakers’ early-season troubles.
A quick look at the schedule shows that L.A. might be without Nash for four games over the next eight days: Home against Detroit tomorrow, at Utah Wednesday, home against the Warriors Friday, and home against Sacramento on Sunday.
There aren’t any world-beaters standing in the Lakers’ way during that stretch, but a team without a win in three tries this season can’t afford to overlook anyone, especially without its full complement of players.
If the timetable holds relatively true, Nash could possibly be set to return Tuesday Nov. 13 for a home contest against the Spurs.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13