Kobe sarcastically says Lakers ‘hitting the panic button’ after 0-3 start

Nov 3, 2012, 1:00 PM EST

Los Angeles Lakers Kobe Bryant reacts during their loss to the Dallas Mavericks in their NBA basketball game in Los Angeles Reuters

Lakers fans have been in a state of panic since their team looked horrible in an opening night loss to the Mavericks, who (by the way)  were playing without an injured Dirk Nowitzki.

Kobe Bryant and the rest of the team might be ready to join them. Although they were pretty calm after the game and not near the DEFCON 1 level that fans seem to be at.

L.A. fell to the Clippers on Friday night, in a game that wasn’t really all that close. As odd as it is to say, the Clips’ core is somewhat established after playing together last season, while that of the Lakers is obviously still trying to find itself.

As the natives get more and more restless and impatient with the slow (or perhaps nonexistent) development to this point, Bryant was asked when it might be time to hit the panic button. His response was dry and sarcastic, but with a realization that the time to get things going in another direction was nearing, via Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles:

“We’re hitting the panic button now,” Bryant said in a somewhat obligatory manner after a reporter asked if the team was reaching for an imaginary knob. “That’s what we’re supposed to do. This is our job. We’re not supposed to just kind of coast and just assume things are going to fix themselves. We got to push at it.”

This doesn’t mean the team is panicking just yet, of course. But it does mean that Bryant understands the sense of urgency for he and his mates to show some improvement, and to do it quickly.

Lakers head coach Mike Brown, however, might actually be feeling the pressure.

Brown admitted afterward he overworked Bryant, who missed over a week’s worth of time to end the preseason with a foot injury.

“We need a win, obviously. I’m not trying to fool anybody here. We do need a win. You hope we could have gotten one tonight,” Brown said. “That’s part of why (Bryant) played the minutes that he played, which was too many.”

Bryant played brilliantly, logging 43 minutes and pouring in 40 points on 14-of-23 shooting. But that’s not why the Lakers got Dwight Howard and Steve Nash (who missed this one with a leg contusion), and Brown showed he was pressing by leaving Bryant out there so long while he’s still recovering from that injury.

Bryant said he was playing on one leg and told reporters in the locker room after the game that he felt like his right foot was “about to fall off” during the game.

Fantastic.

The Lakers host Detroit on Sunday, which should be the perfect opportunity for the team to notch its first win of the season. If it doesn’t come then (whether Nash is available to return or not), don’t count on it happening Wednesday night in Utah against a much better team, in a much tougher environment.

And if the losing streak to start the season should reach five, then you’ll see what panic truly looks like.

1. limonadamas - Nov 3, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Seriously though… Mike Brown has no clue what he’s doing. What’s with all the funky lineups? Why would he trot out Blake, Darius Morris, MWP, Jamison, and Pau at the same time? That doesn’t make sense in terms of spacing or flow Why play Meeks one night and then DNP-CD him the next? Why play his aging stars 40+ minutes nightly this early in the season (only to lose anyway)?

Good coaches develop identities for their teams and consistent rotation patterns. The only thing that’s been consistent about the Lakers ever since Brown took over is how inconsistent he’s been with his rotations. It’s like he feel an insatiable need to tinker constantly.

This team was built to play offense. Wouldn’t it make sense to shore up their defensive schemes instead of trying to shoehorn in a new complex offensive system that doesn’t fit? If we were going to go Princeton anyway, why did the Lakers hire Rick Adelman? Makes zero sense. Oh well.

• tfoz5150 - Nov 3, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Meeks ain’t no good. He’s WAAAYYY too inconsistent. Nice guy though. Good luck with all the rest of that sh@t. Go Sixers!

2. spthegr8 - Nov 3, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I LOVE how these article’s keep saying that” the Laker fan’s are in a state of panic”. The one’s that are in a “state of panic”, are the one’s that don’t really know the game of basketball. As I have posted before, I AM NOT WORRIED @ ALL!!!!!!!!!! I knew from the start that, this was gonna take sometime and that they were gonna lose some UGLY games. So far that’s all they have done is LOSE UGLY.

As EASY as it is too place ALL of the blame on Mike Brown. It’s not all his fault. With that being said, I personally think that, this new princeton Offense SUCK’S SH!T!!!!! You run that offense when you are @ a disadvantage offensively. With the guy’s we have on our roster, common sense would tell you we DON’T NEED IT!!! I have NEVER been a fan of Mike Brown’s and I don’t think he is the right guy for the job. With that being said, I haved watched every minute of the 3 games we have had this year. While turnover’s are DEFINITELY killing us. Their has been ALOT of times in all 3 games, that I see us getting out worked, ppl not SPRINTING back on D etc. Basically, the other team trying harder and wanting it more. That is something that the PLAYERS have to fix, cuz it can’t be taught too you. Either you have it or you don’t.

Either way, their is light @ the end of the tunnel and it’s not a train. When we start to gel and play basketball TOGETHER. The rest of the league is in TROUBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. dannymac17 - Nov 3, 2012 at 2:54 PM

surprise surprise

more articles on why the Lakers lost rather than the Clippers winning.

the bar was silent last night in good ol LA with my clipper fitted on.

Times is a changin.

• badintent - Nov 3, 2012 at 5:28 PM

You’re right, no Kudos to the Clippers, no love. On the other hand , laverlover choked his chicken so hard the hood thought a 6.9 earthquake had hit !LOL !
      See your Clippers and my Knicks in the Finals,. !!
      Blake vs. Melo Kidd vs. Billups. Chandler vs. Jordon. How delicious !!!

• philtration - Nov 4, 2012 at 12:16 AM

You know why the Clippers are getting no love and attention?
      Because that have done nothing, and I mean NOTHING to warrant any attention over their sorry existence.
      No one cares and if that bothers you then you are going to have to find something better to bitch about than the Clippers.

• dannymac17 - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Clippers – 1
        Lakers – 0

and you just hired Mike D.

shuddafuggup loser

4. timb12 - Nov 3, 2012 at 3:12 PM

The Lakers look rough right now. I haven’t seen a point in any of these games where they look like they’re putting it together. Even for a couple of minutes. Kobe’s playing well though.

5. BigBeachBall - Nov 3, 2012 at 3:16 PM

i download maybe 3 regular season games a year…. this was the first….

6. paulhargis53 - Nov 3, 2012 at 3:54 PM

One can only hope that lakerluver found his rope. Seriously, the loser runs his big mouth before every game, yet disappears for days after they lose.
    You people wonder why I detest him? This is a major reason. I can’t stand this type of fan.

• jt1138 - Nov 3, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Because he’s a terrible bandwagon fan who thinks the world revolves around the Lakers, and that anyone not in purple and gold is garbage. Oh, and let’s not forget that he is afraid of LeBron James. He can hates all he wants, but deep down he knows that LeBron is king.

• 00maltliquor - Nov 4, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Can you read this ph53? ^

I responded back but when I hit reply the comments stayed at 24 leading me to believe it didn’t post. That happens on here sometimes, even though you can read it, others can’t…

7. chargerdillon - Nov 3, 2012 at 4:07 PM

The best way to cover up chemistry is to have an abundance of youth that can make up for it.

The Lakers have neither chemistry nor youth.

It’s one thing to put 3 starts ie Wade, James, Bosh, together in their physical prime when even if they dont gel, they’re still better than the person they’re looking at.

It’s another thing when you have Grandfather Bryant, Great Grandfather Nash, and NO BENCH.

To be fair, what Brown does with his rotations don’t matter much when that’s what your bench looks like in the first place.

On paper what the Lakers did looks pretty. Because on paper you look at a starting 5. When you see the whole package you realize the gaping hole right below the starting lineup.

Add that with a very poor coach who unlike Phil Jackson was given the best player in all of basketball and NEVER GOT IT DONE.

As business goes, if the Buss family is happy with what Mitch built, then none of this matters. For the Lakers fans that think every year should be a championship year, bad news.

I’ll keep saying it, barring an injury the Heat will be dominating the NBA for several years to come, there will be no opt outs, everything James said he was going to do, he will do.

Stop hating James and do the eyeball check, he’s that good, HE’S THAT GOOD.

• tfoz5150 - Nov 3, 2012 at 4:40 PM

too bad he’s a bitch for running to play in Miami rather than trying to do it say in NY where people would actually respect him if he got it done. Just sayin

• jt1138 - Nov 3, 2012 at 4:44 PM

HA! You tards don’t even respect Melo, so why would he want to play in NY? Just because he didn’t go to your team doesn’t mean you should hate him.

• tfoz5150 - Nov 3, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Im a Sixer fan, but I know he had options and he chose the easy route. Speaks to the man’s character.

8. diablito0402 - Nov 3, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Lebron is the best player in this depleted and washed up era which doesent have a lot of superstars, he woulnt make it 13 years ago

• dls612 - Nov 3, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Go be stupid somewhere else!!!

9. magicbucs - Nov 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM

@spthe8th….. The fakers aren’t the only team trying to gel. They got beat by the MAVS and blazers which are 2 other teams trying to gel oh and with no superstars.
    The Orlando magic have a new coaching staff and 9 new players ; (3) rookies and (6) 2nd years players and no superstar. Look what they did. Yes it’s still early but there is no excuse why the lakers haven’t won yet with that roster. Correction, with that starting lineup cause your bench sucks…. That look on Dwight’s face last night was priceless.
    Anyone seen Lakerluvr?

10. spthegr8 - Nov 3, 2012 at 6:41 PM

@magicbucs
    If you have seen any of my post’s. I said the same thing. Their is ABSOLUTEY no EXCUSE for us too not have won a game yet. I’m not making any excuse’s for them. Maybe I’m missing something, but what did the magic do that was so impressive????

11. dls612 - Nov 3, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I said it before its not like d12 is in the east he’s not gone dominate the west , Nash is ageing, and there is no depth! So he say what ever he wants sarcastically, it just means he’s having some doubt! When these so called super teams form , all u do is make other teams play that much harder! My heat know that first hand. The target is on their backs, sound familiar?

12. ohsoblessed1 - Nov 3, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I am a Laker fan and I live in Houston. I am watching the scrappy Rockets right now and my Lakers don’t hustle like the Rockets. I don’t know what the problem is. The only person on the team that seems to play with any urgency is Kobe and he is old. Mike Brown just doesn’t seem to motivate them dudes. They aren’t afraid to loose. With all the talent the lakers have, I think the Rockets could beat them right now.

13. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Nov 3, 2012 at 10:55 PM

It’s not the players. It’s the coach and his system.

They should have let Brian Shaw take over instead.

14. goldmember21 - Nov 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Lakers need to trade Howard for Kwame Brown lol

15. loungefly74 - Nov 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

0-3? i still love the Lakers. i have faith they will be okay come playof time…

16. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Nov 4, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Win or lose, Lakers is the team I choose.

• 00maltliquor - Nov 4, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Amen!

17. paulhargis53 - Nov 4, 2012 at 2:26 PM

malt, I can not see the previous posting.

• 00maltliquor - Nov 4, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Dammit, I copied and pasted it again 4 times, what’s wrong with this site!! Aiight paul, looks like I’m just gonna have to re-type the whole thing, but I agree…check back in, I’ll do it right now.

• 00maltliquor - Nov 4, 2012 at 5:34 PM

OMG, I posted over 10 times a response and PBT won’t post it! I’m so mad right now.

Just to keep it short and simple, YES. I agree, deal **handshake**

• paulhargis53 - Nov 4, 2012 at 7:04 PM

malt: Lol! I feel your pain. Some of my best insults at lakerluver don’t make it. Sometimes I think the censors feel sorry for Clownshoes. Sounds good, this should make the season a lot more fun.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches