Nov 3, 2012, 5:30 PM EST
Kevin Garnett is a different dude. Now in his eighteenth NBA season, if you didn’t know this by now, you’re clearly new to things. Let us welcome you, then, to the wonderful world of KG, and how he sees the game through specially-colored glasses.
After the Celtics fell to 0-2 on the young season in a blowout home loss to the Bucks, Garnett felt it was time to showcase some of his veteran leadership skills. Apparently he gave his teammates a postgame pep-talk to try to snap them out of the early-season funk.
The theme of this talk? Hyenas. Naturally.
Here’s what Garnett said about it once the media arrived, via Chris Forsberg of ESPNBoston.com:
“Hyenas. Running in packs means that we help each other,” he said. “Since I’ve been here, we’ve built the code on what these great organizations have been built on — and that’s history. And that’s gained not by individual, but by team. And I just spoke upon that with everybody in here, without the coaches and everybody. Just letting all the new guys know what it is to be a [Celtic], reiterating that and letting them understand the severity of putting this jersey on and everything that comes with it. I won’t go into that — it’s none of y’all business — but I had to reiterate it tonight. I thought tonight was the perfect night to do that.”
It really is none of y’all business, and Garnett probably couldn’t care less whether we get where he was going with this or not. It’s the response from his teammates that matters, so maybe those on the inside that heard the entire thing will be able to translate that into something useful from a team basketball perspective.
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 6
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 41
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 10
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 8
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 14
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 29
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 7
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 5