Nov 3, 2012, 8:30 PM EST
It wasn’t a pretty start to the season for the Hawks on Friday, and things aren’t likely to get better when the team next takes the floor in Oklahoma City on Sunday.
Josh Smith has been ruled out for the Hawks’ road game against the Thunder due to an ankle sprain. He won’t even make the trip, the team says, and neither will backup center Johan Petro, who’s still recovering from a back injury.
The Hawks said that Smith sustained the injury during Friday’s loss to the Rockets, though he didn’t seem to show any signs of it while posting 18 points, 10 rebounds, and three blocked shots in 43 minutes of action.
Houston had its way with the Hawks — as if James Harden‘s career-high 45 points wasn’t destructive enough, Atlanta was crushed on the boards, getting out-rebounded 58-36, while giving up a ridiculous 23 offensive rebounds in the process.
Atlanta is probably looking at more minutes from Zaza Pachulia in Smith’s absence, along with possibly some run from Ivan Johnson. Beyond that, there just aren’t any other frontcourt options available on this Hawks team’s roster.
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 0
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 6
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 14
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 17
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 4
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 23
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19