Nov 3, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
After the complete organizational upheaval the team underwent during the offseason — from GM, to head coach, to a certain departed superstar who shall not be named — this is exactly the fresh start the team needed to open the new season.
All was not perfect, however, as starting forward Hedo Turkoglu left the game in the third quarter with a fractured left hand. After undergoing surgery Saturday morning, he’s expected to miss four weeks.
(He’s resting comfortably, by the way, in case you were wondering.)
Turkoglu’s skill set doesn’t match the giant annual salary he has remaining on his current contract, one that pays him close to $12 million this year and is only guaranteed for half as much the season after. He’s a trade piece due to that contract situation more than anything else, but he’s also someone the team needs in the short term because he’s at least serviceable at a position the Magic find themselves very thin at just one game into the season.
Beyond Turkoglu, there aren’t really any viable options for Orlando at the small forward spot. Maurice Harkless is the obvious answer, but he’s still making his way back after hernia surgery during the offseason. The Magic will likely slide Arron Afflalo to the three until Harkless is ready.
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'