Chris Paul doesn’t buy Jamal Crawford doesn’t practice dribbling

Nov 3, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT

Jamal Crawford Getty Images

At one point in the second quarter of the Clippers win over the Lakers Friday night — on what was supposed to be the Lakers home court — Jamal Crawford crossed over a Lakers defender to get an open look on the left wing, a move so sweet there was an audible gasp from the Lakers crowd when it happened. It was the kind of thing Crawford did the night before to break Rudy Gay’s ankles.

This would be the Jamal Crawford that said he never really worked on his game before this season, that he did it all on natural talent.

After the game, Chris Paul was asked if he buys that.

“Oh, he’s lyin’. He’s lyin’.”

But then Paul went on to say he doesn’t really practice his dribbling anymore.

“But to tell you the truth, I don’t do all the ball handling drills like I used to as a kid…” Paul said about dribbling around cones and around broomsticks. “But when I was a kid, all day every day. All day every day. Now you been dribbling so long, you just sort of improvise and come up with new stuff.”

While Crawford is a name NBA fans know — he won Sixth Man of the Year in Atlanta and his crossover is well known — he is one of those players whose skills are far more impressive in person than on highlights. His ball control and sense of how to create space so he can get off his jumper is eye-popping in person. It’s how he dropped 21 on the Lakers to lead the Clippers in scoring.

Paul, a guy with skills but who plays a game of clever moves and guile, is Crawford’s new biggest fan. He’s the first up off the bench cheering when Crawford just destroys a defender off the dribble.

“I have fun with it, I have fun with it during the game,” CP3 said. “This might be one of the funnest years I’ve had since I’ve been in the league because at the position I play and how I play, I appreciate Jamal Crawford. I love it.

“It’s one thing to go home when he was on another team and see it on the highlights, but I get to see it every night. I’m his biggest fan.”

It’s not only Paul that’s having fun, it’s the Clippers team and their fans are as well. Crawford brings a dimension of shot creation off the bench the Clippers needed to if their plan is to take a step forward this season. He and Paul are a 1-2 punch and a change of style that is hard for opposing teams to match.

1. cpcfan - Nov 3, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Please keep making CP3 happy Jamal, I would appreciate everybody doing all they can to get him to sign a long term contract..Now what to do with Bledsoe at years end??

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Nov 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM

CP3 isn’t going anywhere. He will stay a Clip. It’s high time that the Clippers make the Lakers sweat. I would love to see them battle out in the post season.

2. badintent - Nov 3, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Hope Crissy is staying away from Gasol and his sonning. When does Billups come back. We need a real man at the controls for this team in the playoffs.Not a short man with a Napoleonic complex

3. 6thsense79 - Nov 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM

CP3 is the reason you guys got to the playoffs last year and he’ll be the reason you get there this year. If you don’t resign him you can enjoy going back to being a joke of a franchise.

4. jerdogthompson - Nov 3, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Cpcfan

We’ve got EB locked up this year and next. The question is how can we afford him in 14-15? He’s a starter on any other team. Future all star for sure, enjoy it while u can.

Loved the thrashing the Fakers took last night, woke up pretty horse from yelling last night. Awesome, just Awesome.

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Nov 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Funny how you call them fakers. LOL! How many clipper banners are hanging in the staples rafters?

• bullsfan239712 - Nov 27, 2012 at 9:27 AM

It is funny that you say that, considering the Lakers have been in the league 23 years longer than the Clippers have. Not to mention they have had a more considerable amount of all stars than the clippers. Keep being a bandwagon fan lol

5. jerdogthompson - Nov 3, 2012 at 6:51 PM

6thsense

Your speak so prophetically like OMG.

PIPE DOWN TINY.

6. jerdogthompson - Nov 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Badinent.

A real man? Perhaps someone like u douche?

SHUT UR PIE HOLE.

7. badintent - Nov 4, 2012 at 12:21 AM

you got sonning by Gasol too. ? must be sad to not be over 5’5″. Yeah , I’m a real man, did Manhatten, SD, Miami. I’m 6’4″. Sonned a lot of tools like you blocking shots back in their ugly flat nose faces. Comprede amigo ?

8. jerdogthompson - Nov 4, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Wow. That’s so impressive. You must tell me more DOUCHE.

Enjoy mediocrity DOUCHE.

• badintent - Nov 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I’m 3 things you ‘ll never be., A father, a parent and a biz owner.
      Enjoy your stay on the Maury TV show, I’m sure your DNA report is in and you ARE the father of your hoe’s kid Loser.Get some HGH shots in your knees and dick, might help you grow an inch.But 1 inch plus 1 inch is stilo only 2 inches. Muy pequeno , perro

• bougin89 - Nov 5, 2012 at 9:45 AM

“A father, a parent and a biz owner”

Just curious, what exactly is the difference between father and parent?

Attempting to brag about yourself on a blog sets a pretty low standard for yourself, doesn’t it? It also makes your comments much less believable, IMHO.

9. diamondmo33 - Nov 4, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Crawford has the best cross in the NBA.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches