Nov 3, 2012, 12:28 AM EDT
UPDATE Nov. 3, 12:26 am: The Hornets have confirmed that Anthony Davis has suffered a concussion — one they describe as “mild” but there are no really mild concussions — and he will not travel to the game in Chicago, staying behind in New Orleans to undergo further tests.
It sucks because Davis is from Chicago and this would have been a homecoming.
Under the league’s new concussion policy it is not up to Davis or the team when he can return to action. He has to pass a battery of tests and be approved to return by the league neurologist. That could happen in a few days or a few weeks, depending on how he heals.
Nov. 2, 11:03 pm: Anthony Davis, the No. 1 overall pick out of Kentucky who has looked good for the Hornets right out of the gate, had to leave New Orleans game against Utah Friday night with a possible concussion.
The incident happened with 4:51 left in the first half, when Davis was planted to take a charge, teammate Austin Rivers slid into defensive position and caught Davis in the head with an inadvertent elbow, reports the Times-Picayune.
Davis went back to the locker room (covering his eye with his hand) and did not return, and he is being tested for a concussion.
If it is a concussion, the league’s neurologist has to approve him for a return to action, it is not a decision in the hands of the coach or team doctors under an NBA policy in its second season.
Davis had had 8 points, 6 rebounds and 2 blocks in just 14 minutes before his injury.
It’s tough timing — the Hornets are scheduled to travel to Chicago Saturday, Davis’ hometown, and he is expected to have a lot of family and friends in the stands for the game.
We will update this story as we get more information.
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final