Nov 2, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
When the Houston Rockets used the amnesty provision on Luis Scola, it was a pretty odd move. The Rockets were obviously juggling the numbers to make offers to both Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin this offseason, but it was still a little alarming to see a player of Scola’s caliber get cast aside for nothing in return but cap space.
Scola is playing this year with the Phoenix Suns, who were likely thrilled to get a proven frontcourt producer at a discounted rate, regardless of whether or not he meshed with the overall direction of the franchise. Scola hasn’t been with his new teammates very long, but it sounds like he has a pretty good grasp on the identity of the team:
“We’re not a cool team,” Scola said. “We’re not one of those teams that just gives it to somebody and he gets the game for you. We’re grinding, playing hard, playing tough. That’s the way we’re going to win games. The quicker we accept that, the better we’re going to be off.
It’s okay, Luis. I’m sure your team has lots of other great qualities So maybe you don’t have “swag or steez” like some of the other teams in league. Big deal. You can still play pretty basketball! Wait, what’s that?
“We’re not a pretty team. It’s not going to be sexy. We’ve just got to grind it. We’ve got to play hard.”
Oh. Well, then. Although you probably won’t see the Suns marketing team go with, “The 2012-13 Phoenix Suns: Not cool, pretty, or sexy”, Scola is qualified to talk about playing on teams without a star and what it takes to stay successful, because he did it for years in Houston. And he’s right, it’s not always going to be pretty. But for the Suns to compete, they’ll have to embrace a style of play similar to what the Milwaukee Bucks did last season — quick passing, quick decisions, and selfless play. The Suns just aren’t talented enough to play isolation basketball and expect it to work.
But, Luis, a little word of advice? Don’t tell any of this to Michael Beasley, king of the jab step and proud owner of a giant tattoo on his back that reads, “SUPER COOL BEAS”. That might not go over too well.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 18
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 66
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30