Kobe Bryant: “’Everybody shut up. Let us work.”

Nov 2, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT

Lakers starters chat during their NBA basketball game in Los Angeles Reuters

Hey, Charles Barkley and Shaq. Hey, Lakers haters who have savored the past week. Hey Lakers fans. Yes you. The ones saying the it’s all Mike Brown’s fault the Lakers are 0-2. The ones blaming the Princeton offense for everything except Hurricane Sandy.

All of you. Kobe Bryant has two words for you:

Shut up.

Via ESPNLA.com.

“I’ve won so I can [tell people to shut up],” Bryant said. “For Mike it might be a little tough to say that so I’ll say it for him, ‘Everybody shut up. Let us work. At the end of the day, you’ll be happy with the result as you normally are.

Lakers fans have overreacted to the Lakers 0-2 start in a way Angelinos normally reserve for how they drive on the 405 when it starts to rain (“OMG, better slow down to 35, it’s sprinkling”). They have taken to the Internet and sports talk radio calling for the Princeton offense to go the way of the Dodo, to have it replaced by random chaos because that might be better.

“I don’t understand,” Bryant said with a smile when asked about the distress the Lakers poor start has created amongst the city. “And I’m trying to bite my tongue and not calling them ‘dumb’ which I kind of just did.

“But they’ve seen us win multiple championships here in an offense that was tough to learn, that was a sequence of options that weren’t set plays, that took five guys getting on the same page and working together. They know how that stuff works, so for them to be so stupid now, for them to say, ‘Oh, let Steve dribble the ball around and create opportunities for everybody, or let Dwight post up or let me Iso’ … It’s, I don’t want to say ‘idiotic,’ but it’s close.”

It’s too early for Lakers fans to panic. Do we need to remind you how the Heat started 9-8 when LeBron James arrived and the world was going to end in Miami (then they made it to the finals)? But the questions about why this Lakers team has been so bad defending the pick-and-roll are legit. So are the questions about whether the hybrid and complex Lakers offense is needed on a team with enough talent where just executing simple sets would overwhelm teams. These are issues the Lakers need to deal with.

In fact, if they don’t start to defend the pick-and-roll better by the time Chris Paul and the Clippers take the Staples Center floor Friday night the Lakers fans will have another ugly loss to freak out about.

1. spthegr8 - Nov 2, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I love how in the article it say’s” ALL of the laker fans are over overreacting” LLS!!!!!!

2. lakerluver - Nov 2, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Yes, I do. What’s your point, clown?

3. lakerluver - Nov 2, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Ohhh, I get it now, you and ph53IQ are one and the same. Clever.

4. lakerluver - Nov 2, 2012 at 12:19 PM

@dis612
    So because they lost their 1st game at home means they’re going to lose the rest of them? Wishful thinking. I’ve never seen so many non-LAKERS fans posting on a LAKERS story. Or, more appropriately, a non-story.

• dls612 - Nov 2, 2012 at 12:31 PM

You made it a point to let me know that the up comming games , most of them are at home as if that meant something! My point was they have a tough schedule this month!

5. imthedudedude - Nov 2, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Hey Kobe, SHUT UP.

6. paulhargis53 - Nov 2, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I NEVER said a word about $. Come on Mr. Laker, make the bet with me.
    I say the lakers don’t make the WCF. I’m right you leave PBT,I’m wrong, I leave. It’s that simple. Quit dodging the question with your pathetic attempt at humor. You de realize what a fraud you appear to be by not taking this bet, don’t you? The biggest lakerbacker with the biggest mouth is afraid to bet on the team he boasted about all off-season? What a fraud! BTW, this is the only name I post under,unlike you lakerluver/bozosforall.

If you don’t take my bet, you may as well quit posting anyway, you’ll be exposed for what you really are.

• sellahh - Nov 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Ok lol i’ve read the last sentence and lol’d.
      Go lakurz

• 00maltliquor - Nov 2, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Holy crap man, if LAKERluver don’t make that bet with you I will !!!

Sounds like a fun bet, except i’ll have to revise it with you and instead of being banished for life it’ll just have to be ’till the beginning of the 2012-13 regular season. I love coming to this site too much to just give it up forever.

Just hit the “REPLY” button underneath this comment to let me know so I don’t have to keep checking in on this article to see if you replied back or not if LL doesn’t want to take the bet.

• paulhargis53 - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Malt, LL took the bet. I would with you too, but my lifetime to your offseason ban is not fair to me.

If you want in, you can be though. I win either way on this though. I’m sure ill be tired of the trash talk way before May anyhow. But my lasting legacy on here will be ridding this site of lakerluver.

I have yet to hear from Kurt, until I do, this bet is not offcially sanctioned.
        Lakerluver already has the bozosforall alter ego, I don’t want him weasiling on here under another name.

• 00maltliquor - Nov 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Ooooh, so you DO know how to utilize the “reply” button! I swear that has to be the 1st time you’ve ever responded to someone straight up. Thanks for complying.

It wasn’t a my offseason to your lifetime ban, It was supposed to be a whole offseason ban for the both of us (I put for the 2012-13 season but I meant 2013-14, my bad). And if lakerluver is bozosforall then you goooot to be purdueman from over a year ago (anyone remember him!?). I swear you are him. I’ve thought that ever since you hit the scene.

Well, if LL took the original bet then it would be redundant to do the same, so, I pose to you this….

How about if the Lakers have a better regular season record then the Celtics then you got to change your name to KOBEluver until the last game is played of the 2nd round this season (and you can’t weasel out by saying you did change your name, but just didn’t comment until the 3rd rounds started, you have to keep posting as you ALWAYS do. Just under the name KOBEluver *Kobe in all caps just like that, luver spelled like that*.

And if I lose then I have to change my screen name to whatever name of your choice (NOTHING DEROGATORY THOUGH!!) for the first 2 rounds of this seasons playoffs…Deal?

7. sellahh - Nov 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Man, kobe says shut up and you make an article about that. Are you machistas or what.

8. paulhargis53 - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Sorry for basically posting the same thing 3 different times. I thought each prior post was not showing up.

Fact remains: lakerluver needs to answer, he’s run away again.

How can you other laker fans defend this guy? A blowhard that won’t back up all his offseason boasting?!

Lakerluver/bozosforall, you’re pathetic!

9. lakerluver - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I’ve made my stance perfectly clear. The LAKERS will represent the Western Conf in the Finals. Will they beat Miami? I’m not sure….. I will take your bet. But that’s only if you’ll take my bet. I will bet you that Boston will not win the NBA title this year. Betting you that they won’t make it to the Conf finals is a suckers bet because the East is weak. Even with that being the case, the only reason Boston might make it that far is because D. Rose is not healthy. Which is exactly why Boston made the Conf finals last season. All things being equal they’re the 3rd best team in the crappy east. Still want to bet, clown?

10. lakerluver - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I’ll make it even better, I’ll bet you, not only will Boston not win the title, they won’t even make it to the Finals. And they have a much easier road than the LAKERS do. All they have to do is get past Miami. The rest of the Eastern teams are pretenders. Especially with Rose not healthy. The LAKERS have to get past two legit contenders in Okc and the Spurs. I win…you do the world a favor and disappear.

11. florida727 - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I’m not a Kobe fan at all. I think he plays a “me first”, selfish game, is arrogant, and not a true leader that makes others around him better. All that said, I have to agree with him here. Anyone who’s ever played organized ball at a reasonably high level knows what it takes to mesh, learn a system (both offense AND defense), and bond as a team. They’re TWO games into an EIGHTY-TWO (2.439%) game schedule for cryin’ out loud! Lakers fans, take a freaking pill already. Contrary to popular belief, the world (let alone YOUR world) is not coming to an end.

12. paulhargis53 - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:25 PM

There is. no reason for the Celtics bet. One of us is gone before the finals anyway. It’s redundant to make that bet, but whatever dude. I’ll take it.

So, the bet is if the Lakers aren’t in the WCF, you’re off PBT, if they are, then I’m off PBT, correct? The Celtics bet matters for nothing.

Mr.Kurt Helin: Is there a way for you to block the losers IP address, so they cannot post after they lose, say with a 1 week grace period for the winner to gloat and the loser to say goodbye?
    I don’t want lakerluver sneaking back on under another name. Please advise.

13. thelakeshow562 - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:29 PM

F*@k all you haters LAKERS # 1

14. loungefly74 - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM

2 games into the season? only a fool would judge so quickly. Laker haters…have fun right now…but i have a feeling we will be doing all right by April.

yeah…Kobe has earned the right to talk smack. i have no beef with his words. there will be growing pains.

@LL…don’t let these fools mess up your swagger, man. this is what they get off on. heck, they are the type of “fans” who would rather see their enemies burn than see their own team win…pathetic.

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Nov 6, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Agreed.

Why diss a fan for being a fan? There are fans just like him in other teams. The only difference: the Lakers have more reasons to swagger about. As you can see, there are a lot more posters here who diss the Lakers more than they post in support of their team.

Pure vanilla envy, I tell you.

15. paulhargis53 - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM

lounge, why don’t you get in on this bet? I can get rid of 2 of you at once that way….

• loungefly74 - Nov 2, 2012 at 3:16 PM

go piss off PH53. i have been here far longer then you have…you stinkin’ parasite. and don’t respond to my posts or mention me…you’re garbage. i don’t mind debating/smacktalk but you are a piece of sh*t. f*%k off…

16. lakerluver - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM

We have a bet…but I have a sneaking suspicion you still won’t go away. Nor will they block you. I think they have pity for you. How else can we explain you still being here? You should’ve been booted a long time ago!! Even though they won’t block you, please be a man and walk away in May when my LAKERS are facing whomever in the Conf. Finals. What I find sad about you and the other LAKERS haters is you guys spend more time bashing the LAKERS than you do supporting your own fave team!! Never will you find me commenting “all day” on a non-LAKERS story. Enjoy your last few months on this site, sir.

17. lakerluver - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM

@lf74
    Dude, my sentiments exactly. Buncha freakin lames.

18. paulhargis53 - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I comment on the Celtics stories also, you should know, you’re on there,under your other name-bozosforall.
    I’m not saying anything to you that isn’t true. I also would have stopped speaking on laker posts if YOU would have let things go awhile back. Nope, you continued to poke the bear, and are crying once again about it.

I want Kurt to answer my question in this thread. Your life will bevover when the lakers lose in the 2nd round. PBT IS your life, that’s what is sad.

19. buckeye94 - Nov 2, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I read the heat articles cuz they are my team…I read the lakers just to get a laugh at all the drama and this by far has been the best ever…can’t wait to see how this bet turns out

• loungefly74 - Nov 2, 2012 at 3:31 PM

buckeye94? lemme guess…from Ohio..but a lebron james fan…so you followed him to Miami? nice.

the best and most interesting teams get the most coverage. im happy an “0-2″ start gets you excited. personally, im not too worried…adjustments/chemistry take time. heck…im still glowing from the lakers back-to-back titles…

20. paulhargis53 - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Lounge, why don’t you tell me how you really feel?!

Wow, you really are frothing aren’t you? Too f***in funny!

You’re glowing from titles .2 and 3 years ago? Uff.

What happens if you ever have sed? Spontaneous combustion?!

• loungefly74 - Nov 3, 2012 at 11:33 PM

ley me tell you, ya d-bag…when your a fan…you stay a fan thru the good and bad…and you live up the moments of success (titles, etc…)…back to back titles? who else has done that recently? those titles came 4 years ago…i have a rule that a fan can be cool for a few years after the title…2 titles adds to the time. as far as im concerned, C’s, Mavs, Heat, and Laker fans can still breathe easy about their franchises…though boston’s is about to expire. im not acting like a Rockets fan or a Bulls fan…their time has expired long ago….ya dont play thru the entire season…win a championship and then say..oh new season, forget everything that has happened, clean slate! nope, i dont do that, im still proud of the Lakers’ recent titles…i like to bask in the glory…unlike dumbf*cks like you who only get off by misery…ya freakin’ leech. i have no respect for you…with that, i treat you like i would treat the dregs of society. if you showed any mutual respect…it would be a different story.

21. elnogo - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I want to agree with a coment about how it takes time to play good basketball with new team mates especially on D( personal opinion) on O as a PG I feel is a little bit easier because you know who’s a shooter, who’s the best pick-n-roll big and other tendencies. Defense it al about comunication. If you as a team don’t comunicate It wont work.

22. elnogo - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I also saw some factors that are contributing to the bad performance. Lack of playing time together of the startin 5. Only three games including preseason, Howard health is known that he’s not a 100% Steve Nash lack of decent defense and bench that bench is sorry!!!!!

23. paulhargis53 - Nov 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM

malt, I like that bet actually pretty cool.

Nope, I’m honestly not purdueman. I have only posted as paulhargis53 on pbt. I do recall the guy though.

Let me have a bit to think of the name- I will let you have approval of it. But I will take the bet. I may not get back to you til tomorrow, me and my girl are going out to dinner and a movie with another couple.

Again, great idea, it will make the regular season more interesting

• 00maltliquor - Nov 2, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Sweet, then its a deal. Enjoy that date, come up with a name, get back to me on one of these message boards. Just use the “reply” button again so I don’t have to hunt you down on every article and I can just see that reply box in the upper right hand corner light up letting me know you responded to me. KOBEluver. I like the ring of that. Fits you nicely I must say.

24. buckeye94 - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Yo loungefly did I say anything bad about the lakers? No. Get off my d*ck I stated what team I liked cuz I can. I don’t hate the lakers at all like others I love Kobe he’s one of my fav players. I just love seeing all this drama unfold. For the record I hate no team really or any players. Just chill and grow up.

• loungefly74 - Nov 3, 2012 at 11:42 PM

you said…”I read the lakers just to get a laugh at all the drama and this by far has been the best ever…can’t wait to see how this bet turns out” i dont know man, sounded like you get off on Laker misery. maybe i read that wrong…all good

im a “buckeye” too. just givin’ ya a hard time.

25. rocirius - Nov 3, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Kobe is such a joke. He’s definitely a great player, but he would never have won anything if he hadn’t had Shaq or Gasol. Dude thinks he can carry a team by himself which is why the lakers traded Shaq away, then whines about it until Gasol arrives to take the pressure off again. His ego has been coddled to and he’s been pampered since before he was drafted. He wants to be MJ since he’s kind of a clone, but while MJ was arguably the best player in the NBA for most of his career, Kobe has never even been the best in any single season. He couldn’t carry Jordan’s jock strap. The guy is an uncoachable talent who has ridden on the coattails of others like Shaq and Gasol, as well as coach Jackson and now maybe Howard to lead him to any championship. Kobe needs to shut up and learn the concept of playing team basketball while he still has the opportunity.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches