Kobe Bryant: “’Everybody shut up. Let us work.”

Nov 2, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT

Lakers starters chat during their NBA basketball game in Los Angeles Reuters

Hey, Charles Barkley and Shaq. Hey, Lakers haters who have savored the past week. Hey Lakers fans. Yes you. The ones saying the it’s all Mike Brown’s fault the Lakers are 0-2. The ones blaming the Princeton offense for everything except Hurricane Sandy.

All of you. Kobe Bryant has two words for you:

Shut up.

Via ESPNLA.com.

“I’ve won so I can [tell people to shut up],” Bryant said. “For Mike it might be a little tough to say that so I’ll say it for him, ‘Everybody shut up. Let us work. At the end of the day, you’ll be happy with the result as you normally are.

Lakers fans have overreacted to the Lakers 0-2 start in a way Angelinos normally reserve for how they drive on the 405 when it starts to rain (“OMG, better slow down to 35, it’s sprinkling”). They have taken to the Internet and sports talk radio calling for the Princeton offense to go the way of the Dodo, to have it replaced by random chaos because that might be better.

“I don’t understand,” Bryant said with a smile when asked about the distress the Lakers poor start has created amongst the city. “And I’m trying to bite my tongue and not calling them ‘dumb’ which I kind of just did.

“But they’ve seen us win multiple championships here in an offense that was tough to learn, that was a sequence of options that weren’t set plays, that took five guys getting on the same page and working together. They know how that stuff works, so for them to be so stupid now, for them to say, ‘Oh, let Steve dribble the ball around and create opportunities for everybody, or let Dwight post up or let me Iso’ … It’s, I don’t want to say ‘idiotic,’ but it’s close.”

It’s too early for Lakers fans to panic. Do we need to remind you how the Heat started 9-8 when LeBron James arrived and the world was going to end in Miami (then they made it to the finals)? But the questions about why this Lakers team has been so bad defending the pick-and-roll are legit. So are the questions about whether the hybrid and complex Lakers offense is needed on a team with enough talent where just executing simple sets would overwhelm teams. These are issues the Lakers need to deal with.

In fact, if they don’t start to defend the pick-and-roll better by the time Chris Paul and the Clippers take the Staples Center floor Friday night the Lakers fans will have another ugly loss to freak out about.

1. ravensallday2012 - Nov 2, 2012 at 8:06 AM

They will contend for it all but fall short to the heat

2. skids003 - Nov 2, 2012 at 8:21 AM

“I’ve won so I can tell people to shut up?” What arrogance. I thought the team won.

• guyaneserj - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I’m not even close 2 be a Kobe fan, but in all fairness to him, he’s saying/implying that as coach Mike Brown hasn’t won a ring yet, people may feel he has no right to say certain things however, the fact that KB has won 5 rings [even though he didn't explicitly say that], he can speak on Coach Brown’s behalf… I kinda understood where he was coming from!

• eventhorizon04 - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Yeah, not a huge Kobe fan by any stretch of the imagination, but his comment was more, “I have enough credibility to ask the critics to wait before judging, but my coach doesn’t, so I’m going to help him out.”

Like 99% of Kobe’s statements, it involved him mentioning that his past successful, but this was really a statement to help MIke Brown, so I can’t criticize too harshly.

• eventhorizon04 - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM

*Typo
        “Like 99% of Kobe’s statements, it involved him mentioning his successful past, but this was really a statement to help MIke Brown, so I can’t criticize too harshly.”

3. unxpexted1 - Nov 2, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Oh boy, i know people bout to go off on this quote *gettin popcorn ready*

4. ohsoblessed1 - Nov 2, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Chris Paul is going to eat them up tonight.

• eventhorizon04 - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Well, rookie Damian Lilliard did, so that’s not a crazy prediction.

5. omniusprime - Nov 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Kobe is the one who needs to shut up and listen to us Laker fans. We damned well have every right to jack up the team for it’s pathetic play the first two games plus preseason. Time for Kobe to shut up and stick his foot up the rear ends of his teammates to get them into the proper mindset to win games. The whole Laker team just hasn’t shown one damned bit of the heart of a champion, and Clown Brown is proving that he isn’t a coach who’ll ever get the Lakers a championship. Kupcake better get moving on bringing in another good point guard to replace Steve Flake as a backup to ancient Nash. After the first two major disappointments I’m not wasting my time watching the Lakers lose tonight.

Go Kobe!!! Go Lakers!!!

• scalfor3 - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:57 AM

You don’t know how good you have it. You don’t deserve the Lakers.

• nolanwiffle - Nov 2, 2012 at 3:00 PM

2 games out of 82 and you’ve already declared them heartless and pathetic. Are you serious?

6. southbeachtalent - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:06 AM

I’ve won so I can [tell people to shut up],” Bryant said.

No chance, every victory will be met with “championship here we come” every loss with “blow it up, fire Brown”. Get used to it.

• guyaneserj - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Unfair, but true… and like u, I’m a Heat Fan, so it’s not about love for da Lakers or Kobe, it’s about being fair.. However, as we both know .. Sports fan ain’t fair or half the time right!

7. paulhargis53 - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I love that Kobe called Lakers fans idiots.
    I do that everyday. Maybe he isnt so bad after all……

• skids003 - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Where’s your buddy lakerluver?

• money2long - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:56 AM

i think he said they are acting that way for a lack of belief. so, if you agree with that statement, and if you are one of the non believers, then you are agreeing that you are an idiot.

technically speaking.

8. mjacobs45 - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I’d just like to point out this “Princeton Style” offense is being taught from the immortal Eddie Jordan. As a Sixers fan who watched this offense….it’s quite possibly the worst offense ever invented. And it’s being taught by the worst coach in the history of the league. He took a playoff team down to 22 wins in one season with this offense.

Kobe should give it roughly until Thanksgiving until he rips it up, headbutts Eddie Jordan, and gets him fired.

9. jgray30 - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Kobe was talking about CRITICS, not fans. Pay attention, you might learn something.

10. timb12 - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Wait a second. If I remember correctly Kurt is tired of KG’s “tough guy act”, but he’s fine when Kobe talks? Kobe is the biggest jerk in the game lol. I love it, I just think it’s a double standard. They’re just both old school guys with big chips on their shoulders.

• money2long - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:58 AM

yea..but kobe does it with a smile on his face.
      kg does it with a scowl. haha

• nycalldayz - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Kurt doesn’t like KG or the Celtics. I’m just being honest. Read his articles that’s related to anything Celtics they’re mostly negative with a bit of sarcasm.

11. paulhargis53 - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:57 AM

jgray: Do you not read these boards? Or any other blogs? By the way you can be a fan AND a critic at the same time.

lakerluver is dodging me. I want to bet him the lakers don’t make the WCF this year, loser leaves PBT. He won’t give me an answer. What a coward. If he believes in them so much, it should be a no brainer(see what I did there) for him.

12. philtration - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:59 AM

“Shut up.”
    Coming from the man that ran his mouth all summer when no one really asked for his opinions.

13. lakerluver - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I’ll say what Kobe “really” wanted to say: shut the phuk up you bunch of smartphone “experts”, shut the phuk up all you washed up former players, shut the phuk up all you ungrateful bandwagon LAKERS “fans”!!!….Mamba out.

14. davidly - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM

He’s right that they should pipe down with the b*tching about the offense. Still, the offense is only relevant as it relates to the fact that they’re going to have to score at least 110 pts. a night because, on the other hand, I don’t see a fix for their lack of defensive prowess, to put it mildly.

• sellahh - Nov 2, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I see one. Its called DWIGHTTT

15. dls612 - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM

The Lakers fans are disappointed because most of the summer they talked sht and seeing the way the Lakers play ,its putting them in panic mode ! Eleven out of the next fourteen games are against teams from the Western conference and all of are very good teams. Its gonna be interesting!

16. lakerluver - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:59 AM

@omniusprime
    You are one of the bandwagon “fans” I’m referring to!! How can you call yourself a true LAKERS fan but continue to bash our coach?! By questioning Brown you’re also questioning Mitch and Buss. Didn’t they hire Brown?! LAKERS management has given us very little to question them about over the last 30 plus years. Mitch knows more about basketball then everybody posting on this site combined!! Therefore, if he and Jim Buss say Brown is the best coach for the LAKERS who are you to keep bashing their decision?!! Shut the phuk up already, dude!!!
    As for you, ph53IQ, I wouldn’t bet you a dime on ANYTHING. For one, I don’t want to take your money. You work hard for your $7.50/hr as a greeter at Walmart. Secondly, if we did bet you wouldn’t pay up and I’d hate to knock out an old man. But I will!! Can’t you find a Boston story to comment on?!! Oh, I forgot, they’re irrelevant!! You ain’t seen nothing yet, just wait until KG and Pierce retire. It’s back to decades of bad bball, just like when Bird retired. Meanwhile, the LAKERS will be hanging banners number 17,18,19……..

• nycalldayz - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:06 AM

@lakerluver. “As for you, ph53IQ, I wouldn’t bet you a dime on ANYTHING. For one, I don’t want to take your money. You work hard for your $7.50/hr as a greeter at Walmart”.

Reading your comments gives a good example of the type of person you are. Not good that’s for sure. Looking down on others isn’t a strong characteristic, buddy. Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t the Lakers get swept 2011 and 2012? Oh, and the Lakers aren’t better than Miami, Boston, San Antonio, Dallas, OKC or the NYK, the KNICKS! Lol

17. lakerluver - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:01 AM

@dis612
    Most of the games are at the Staples. Shut the phuk up!!

• dls612 - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:24 AM

They lost at home against Dallas! I don’t see your point! your stupidity is offensive!

18. fpimentel72 - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:08 AM

This is the lakers that we are talking about, we have the best players in the game playing together in Bryant,Nash,Howard,Gasol, well Metta, I think is bringing this team down, how many yrs that he played for. I really think that the five man should be Jamison. They are good on offence but they need work on the defense end and they will fix that.

19. paulhargis53 - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:10 AM

skids: There’s the pathetic coward.

This is the THIRD article he’s not made a yes or no call on the bet I offered.

Come on coward, you’re so confident in the Lakeshow.

I bet the Lakers do not make the WCF. If I’m right, you leave PBT, never to return & no coming back under another name. If I lose, I’m gone.

We can ask Kurt to mediate, they can block the losers IP address.

Let’s go coward, give me an answer.

You will say no, because deep down you know that they aren’t going to get there, that they are old an injury prone. But most of all, you’ll say no because you’re pathetic life revolves around this website.

What’s your answer chickensh*t?

20. edwardsro - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Kobe wants the motion offense so he doesn’t have to rely on Nash to get him the ball. It’s his way around having to deal with a dominant point guard. Plus it wa his idea in the off season so he is trying to back coach brown. Brown and the motion O need to go

21. abchome - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Actually Kobe was telling Mike Brown he’s the boss.

22. lakerluver - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:29 AM

@nycalldayz
    Dude, are you being for real??!! Have you seen some of the homophobic, vile comments this clown paulhargis53 posts?!! I say he’s a greeter at Walmart (which he is) and you get your panties all in a bunch!! Did I hurt your feelings? Or perhaps YOU also work as a greeter and I touched a nerve!! All I’ll say is keep reading his posts. And anyway who the heck are you, the head of the morality division for this pathetic site?! To quote Kobe, again: SHUT UP!!

• nycalldayz - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:51 AM

@lakerluver
      “Have you seen some of the homophobic, vile comments this clown paulhargis53 posts?!! I say he’s a greeter at Walmart (which he is) and you get your panties all in a bunch!! Did I hurt your feelings? Or perhaps YOU also work as a greeter and I touched a nerve!! All I’ll say is keep reading his posts. And anyway who the heck are you, the head of the morality division for this pathetic site?!

Dude, read your comments. Are u seriously insane or just incoherent to your own words, because u must be a complete “tool” in person. You’re crying and complaining over the net, because people are clowning your Lakers. Are u a cheerleader for the Lakers? Do u wear a skirt, bad make-up and wave pom-poms in front of Walmart?

23. lakerluver - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:32 AM

My point is most of the games on the schedule are at home. What don’t you understand?!!

24. lakerluver - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Or let me be as clear as possible for you: most of the games you mentioned the LAKERS have upcoming are at home. Is that clear enough for you?

25. shockexchange - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Let’s all sing the Shock Exchange’s new song: “Bandz make Horry Jr dance … Bandz make Horry Jr dance … With ‘exceptionally more talent’ than the rest of the league, he can win with no hands.”

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches