Nov 1, 2012, 1:45 AM EDT
It came down to the last minute, but a deal got done just before the deadline. We’ll let you be the judge who got the better of it.
Taj Gibson and the Bulls agreed to a contract extension worth up to $38 million over four years. Reports say it’ll be difficult for Gibson to reach the full amount, because it includes incentives. But K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune reports that the base salary per year is $8 million.
Gibson knew that this was a relatively low offer, and that he’d likely be able to make more on the open market when he would have become a restricted free agent next summer. But he chose security now, along with the stability of knowing he’ll be playing for a solid organization.
“Pax and Gar stressed they wanted me here a long time,” Gibson said. “It dawned on me I didn’t want to be a selfish player. I wanted to get what’s fair. It’s a lot of money. I can’t really turn it down, especially for the security. You never know what can happen during the year. At any given moment, I could pull a groin or hurt my knee.”
Gibson said [his agent] Bartelstein told him he likely could earn more as a restricted free agent next summer “but you could end up playing in some hellhole.”
As for the words of wisdom imparted to Gibson by his agent, which probably helped to get his client to agree to the lesser deal? Hilarious but ultimately sage advice.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30