Nov 1, 2012, 5:52 PM EDT
Well, this isn’t going to help the Lakers get things figured out.
Steve Nash is officially listed as “doubtful” for the Lakers Friday night nationally televised game against the Clippers, tweets Lakers.com reporter Mike Trudell (not to mention pretty much all the Lakers media in attendance).
Nash was injured when Portland rookie Damian Lillard accidentally kneed Nash in the shin during the second quarter of Wednesday’s game. Nash went to the locker room, tried to come out and play in the third quarter but said he couldn’t really move laterally, and went back to the locker room. It is officially just a “lower leg contusion.”
It’s not a serious injury, but Nash is 38 and these kind of things can linger for a little while.
The Lakers need Nash on the floor because they need to figure a lot of things out on both ends of the floor. Nash is the guy coach Mike Brown says has to be the guy instigating the offense, choosing between running pick-and-rolls or starting a Princeton offense set (or just trying to score in transition). That’s a lot of options and the Lakers 25 turnovers against the Blazers is a clear sign they are not all on the same page. Or maybe even reading the same book at this point. The way they get there is time together on the court.
(And this is not even talking the defensive side of the ball, where the Laker have been worse.)
This isn’t really serious in the long term, but it’s another setback for a team that is already way behind the curve.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 39
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 48
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42