Nov 1, 2012, 7:02 PM EDT
I imagine much to the delight of his wife (just to get him out of the house a little), Stan Van Gundy has gotten a job.
Van Gundy is going to be a regular contributor to the NBC Sports Radio Network starting immediately discussing the NBA and all things basketball. Which you can be sure will be fun, quotable and make him even more popular in the league office.
He’s also going to make his debut as a television analyst during the inaugural Navy-Marine Corps Classic, featuring college basketball powers Georgetown and No. 10 Florida, on Friday, November 9 at 9 p.m. (Eastern) on the NBC Sports Network.
If you forgot, Van Gundy spent 15 years as a college coach, including eight of those as a head coach (one of those as the head coach of Wisconsin). He knows the college game, and he knows talent.
“After 31 years as a coach, I’m thrilled to begin my media career with the NBC Sports Group,” said Van Gundy. “The best part is that this new relationship allows me to gush about basketball on both television and radio. It’s a privilege that my first event will be the Navy-Marine Corps Classic, which benefits Veterans and features two college basketball powerhouses. I’m excited to get started.”
Van Gundy spent two-plus seasons as the head coach of the Miami Heat and the last five years as the head coach of the Orlando Magic, including taking them to the finals in 2009. But you already knew that. You remember pretty much everything about his time there and we’re not going down that road again.
You also know Van Gundy speaks his mind. Fearlessly. Which makes for really good radio and television. For the next couple months, Van Gundy will call-in for regular guest segments on numerous NBC Sports Radio programs (distributed on 175 stations nationwide) talking all NBA topics. Not just why the Lakers look so bad, but all topics. Then starting in 2013, Van Gundy will serve as a guest host every Friday for one of NBC Sports Radio’s nationally-distributed shows.
This is a great hire for the growing network. So… does this mean I get to say I work with SVG? I’m going to anyway until someone tells me to stop.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11