Nov 1, 2012, 7:02 PM EDT
I imagine much to the delight of his wife (just to get him out of the house a little), Stan Van Gundy has gotten a job.
Van Gundy is going to be a regular contributor to the NBC Sports Radio Network starting immediately discussing the NBA and all things basketball. Which you can be sure will be fun, quotable and make him even more popular in the league office.
He’s also going to make his debut as a television analyst during the inaugural Navy-Marine Corps Classic, featuring college basketball powers Georgetown and No. 10 Florida, on Friday, November 9 at 9 p.m. (Eastern) on the NBC Sports Network.
If you forgot, Van Gundy spent 15 years as a college coach, including eight of those as a head coach (one of those as the head coach of Wisconsin). He knows the college game, and he knows talent.
“After 31 years as a coach, I’m thrilled to begin my media career with the NBC Sports Group,” said Van Gundy. “The best part is that this new relationship allows me to gush about basketball on both television and radio. It’s a privilege that my first event will be the Navy-Marine Corps Classic, which benefits Veterans and features two college basketball powerhouses. I’m excited to get started.”
Van Gundy spent two-plus seasons as the head coach of the Miami Heat and the last five years as the head coach of the Orlando Magic, including taking them to the finals in 2009. But you already knew that. You remember pretty much everything about his time there and we’re not going down that road again.
You also know Van Gundy speaks his mind. Fearlessly. Which makes for really good radio and television. For the next couple months, Van Gundy will call-in for regular guest segments on numerous NBC Sports Radio programs (distributed on 175 stations nationwide) talking all NBA topics. Not just why the Lakers look so bad, but all topics. Then starting in 2013, Van Gundy will serve as a guest host every Friday for one of NBC Sports Radio’s nationally-distributed shows.
This is a great hire for the growing network. So… does this mean I get to say I work with SVG? I’m going to anyway until someone tells me to stop.
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 4
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 58
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights