Nov 1, 2012, 5:01 PM EST
That’s the play in question.
Rajon Rondo, for much of the Celtics season opener against the Heat, felt he wasn’t getting the calls when he drove the lane, particularly on contact with Dwyane Wade. So with the game out of reach in the final minute, a frustrated he gave a little of what he felt he was getting to Wade.
Rondo got a flagrant for that. After the game, Wade called it a “punk play.”
Thursday, both Doc Rivers and Rajon Rondo fired back.
Rivers — who has said previously he didn’t think Rondo deserved a flagrant for that, said he thought Wade was tougher than this, via the twitter of A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.
“My thought was Wade, I know where he grew up. I thought he was tougher than that.”-#Celtics Doc Rivers on Wade’s “punk play” comment.
— A. Sherrod Blakely (@SherrodbCSN) November 1, 2012
“I mean, I don’t think it was a hard foul. [Wade] sold it a little bit, and that’s basketball. They were up, he drove to the hole, I didn’t want to give up a layup. Simple as that. I didn’t yank him down, or, dirty plays that you’ve seen him play in the past. So that’s what it is.”
It’s pretty clear Rondo was referring to the play in the playoffs a couple years back where Wade and Rondo got tangled up and went to the ground and Rondo ended up with his elbow bent backwards. An injury that took Rondo a long time to recover from. This feud has some history to it.
This Celtics vs. Heat feud — whether it is Rondo and Wade or Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen — is going to go on all season. But if the Celtics want real revenge there is only one way to get it, and in that first game Miami showed Boston where the benchmark is.
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 2
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)