Nov 1, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
It just feels like there is a missing puzzle pieces in New Orleans.
Wednesday, both Hornets GM Dell Demps and coach Monte Williams — two player-friendly guys — basically suggested Hornets doctors say there is nothing wrong with Eric Gordon’s surgically-repaired knee. But he says there is.
Then Thursday Gordon said things were pretty bad, that he had a setback, but he wouldn’t offer details. From the Times-Picayune:
“I’d say sorta,” Gordon said (when asked if he had a rehab setback). “From talking to the doctors, from when I last told you guys in September until now, I have had a little bit of a setback as far as this injury. Nothing structural, but it has been a little bit of soreness and swelling to where I’m only listening to the doctors and they can see and tell that it’s been a little damage.
“I’ve had MRIs, and I went to the team and they’ve always been aware of my injury. I have had MRIs lately, so I’m looking forward to seeing what’s happening this weekend to see what’s furthermore. .. . I will hear what the doctor’s thinking this weekend.”
You hear Gordon say there is nothing structural in the setback, and you see where Demps and Williams are coming from. These are not guys who throw max contract players under the bus — and they didn’t, yet — but what they said suggests they are confused.
So Gordon’s next comments didn’t help matters.
“It’ll all be decided on by this weekend,” Gordon said. “There’s no timetable. I don’t know (when he’ll return) yet.”
Was there any part of him, he was asked, that felt he might miss the entire season?
“I don’t know; I don’t know at all,” Gordon said. “There’s still no timetable.”
Fans in New Orleans are fed up. They heard him say this summer he wanted to be in Phoenix, that he didn’t want New Orleans to match the offer given him (the Hornets did). Now when it comes time to step on the court, he says he’s hurt. Hornets fans are making the obvious leap there.
I don’t buy that. Having watched and been around Gordon some before his trade from the Clippers (in the Chris Paul deal), he never impressed me as the kind of guy who was looking for an excuse not to play (and trust me, the Clippers had those guys back a few years ago). He’s a competitor that likes to be on the court, not a guy who fakes injuries.
But something is going on here. It feels like the puzzle is missing some pieces.
Hopefully this weekend we can get those pieces and put the entire picture together.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 0
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10