Nov 1, 2012, 12:54 PM EDT
Deron Williams will play through pain… Well, not tonight. Thanks to hurricane Sandy the Knicks and Nets game was cancelled and the Nets will now open the Barclays Center Saturday against the Raptors.
But maybe Williams’ ankle would like a few more days off. He missed a couple practices last week and needed to get a cortisone shot to deal with the swelling.
He told ESPNNewYork.com that he has bone spurs in his ankle, but it’s not something that will keep him from playing this season.
“I think probably the majority of athletes have bone spurs that they deal with at some point in their career,” Williams said. “I don’t know if I’ll have to have surgery. I’m just saying that might be something that happens after the season. But as far as right now, my ankle feels like new since I got the shots, so hopefully I won’t have to have any surgery at all.”
That’s some logic from the “my toothache stopped after I took the pain killers so now I don’t need to see the dentist” school, but we’ll let that part slide for now. Point is this is something to watch as the season goes on. He may be fine, but if he were on my fantasy team I’d have an eye on him.
You can bet coach Avery Johnson does. The Nets need him to bring a roster of interesting but disparate parts together and work.
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 0
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 6
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 11
- Report: Clippers pull out of talks with Celtics 30
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'