Oct 31, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
The Golden State Warriors aren’t going to wait to see how Stephen Curry’s ankles hold up for the season, they aren’t going to risk he has a monster year that ups his price. They decided to lock him up.
Curry and the Warriors have agreed to a four-year, $44 million contract extension, a story broken by Marcus Thompson of the Oakland Tribune, and now confirmed by Matt Steinmetz of CSNBayArea.com and other sources. The deal is expected to be signed before the season opener tonight for the Warriors (where Curry is expected to play).
Both sides took a little risk here to make this happen.
Curry missed most of last season with ankle problems and had had a couple surgeries on his ankles now. He got just 94 minutes of game time in the preseason before he tweaked it again, reportedly not in a serious way but the Warriors took no chances and shut him down for the preseason. The Warriors are making a $44 million gamble that he is healthy enough to play not only this season but the four after it as well.
For Curry, if he is healthy and played like he did in the preseason before he tweaked his ankle, then $11 million a year could be a discount. Ty Lawson just got an average of $12 million from the Nuggets.
It’s not a bad deal for both sides. Me, if I were Golden State, I would have waited to next summer knowing even if he got another offer I could match it, but they wanted to keep him happy.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18