Oct 31, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
The Golden State Warriors aren’t going to wait to see how Stephen Curry’s ankles hold up for the season, they aren’t going to risk he has a monster year that ups his price. They decided to lock him up.
Curry and the Warriors have agreed to a four-year, $44 million contract extension, a story broken by Marcus Thompson of the Oakland Tribune, and now confirmed by Matt Steinmetz of CSNBayArea.com and other sources. The deal is expected to be signed before the season opener tonight for the Warriors (where Curry is expected to play).
Both sides took a little risk here to make this happen.
Curry missed most of last season with ankle problems and had had a couple surgeries on his ankles now. He got just 94 minutes of game time in the preseason before he tweaked it again, reportedly not in a serious way but the Warriors took no chances and shut him down for the preseason. The Warriors are making a $44 million gamble that he is healthy enough to play not only this season but the four after it as well.
For Curry, if he is healthy and played like he did in the preseason before he tweaked his ankle, then $11 million a year could be a discount. Ty Lawson just got an average of $12 million from the Nuggets.
It’s not a bad deal for both sides. Me, if I were Golden State, I would have waited to next summer knowing even if he got another offer I could match it, but they wanted to keep him happy.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 10
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 26
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16