Oct 31, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
Well, the chances of that happening have diminished significantly since then, and according to a report from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, the deal appears to be “falling apart.”
Arenas and Guangdong reached a verbal agreement, but have now hit an impasse over completing a signed contract. The snags may ultimately keep Arenas from joining Guangdong for the upcoming CBA season, sources said.
Guangdong and Arenas have had disagreements over a payment schedule, and the organization has started to have increasing questions over Arenas’ fitness to make an impact in the league.
It’s really unfortunate how far Arenas has fallen as a basketball talent, and how quickly his career has deteriorated to the point where it might be nearing completion altogether.
It doesn’t seem like there’s any NBA interest in Arenas, and now it doesn’t look good for his prospects in China. There are other overseas options of course, and there’s still a possibility of him catching on with a team later this season if there’s a need, and if Arenas can show he’s still got something left.
But considering that he didn’t show much in last season’s playoffs while with Memphis, we may be reaching the point where Arenas is almost completely out of options.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50