Oct 31, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
Well, the chances of that happening have diminished significantly since then, and according to a report from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, the deal appears to be “falling apart.”
Arenas and Guangdong reached a verbal agreement, but have now hit an impasse over completing a signed contract. The snags may ultimately keep Arenas from joining Guangdong for the upcoming CBA season, sources said.
Guangdong and Arenas have had disagreements over a payment schedule, and the organization has started to have increasing questions over Arenas’ fitness to make an impact in the league.
It’s really unfortunate how far Arenas has fallen as a basketball talent, and how quickly his career has deteriorated to the point where it might be nearing completion altogether.
It doesn’t seem like there’s any NBA interest in Arenas, and now it doesn’t look good for his prospects in China. There are other overseas options of course, and there’s still a possibility of him catching on with a team later this season if there’s a need, and if Arenas can show he’s still got something left.
But considering that he didn’t show much in last season’s playoffs while with Memphis, we may be reaching the point where Arenas is almost completely out of options.
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 1
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18