Oct 31, 2012, 2:05 PM EST
Well, the chances of that happening have diminished significantly since then, and according to a report from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, the deal appears to be “falling apart.”
Arenas and Guangdong reached a verbal agreement, but have now hit an impasse over completing a signed contract. The snags may ultimately keep Arenas from joining Guangdong for the upcoming CBA season, sources said.
Guangdong and Arenas have had disagreements over a payment schedule, and the organization has started to have increasing questions over Arenas’ fitness to make an impact in the league.
It’s really unfortunate how far Arenas has fallen as a basketball talent, and how quickly his career has deteriorated to the point where it might be nearing completion altogether.
It doesn’t seem like there’s any NBA interest in Arenas, and now it doesn’t look good for his prospects in China. There are other overseas options of course, and there’s still a possibility of him catching on with a team later this season if there’s a need, and if Arenas can show he’s still got something left.
But considering that he didn’t show much in last season’s playoffs while with Memphis, we may be reaching the point where Arenas is almost completely out of options.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13