Oct 31, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
Eric Gordon comes into the season with a lot to prove. His newly minted max contract combined with his flirtations with the Phoenix Suns have him looking to prove his worth as a player and seeking redemption with Hornets’ fans.
All of that will have to wait, though. Gordon, still having soreness in his knee (an issue that goes back to last season), is not yet ready to play and will miss the Hornets’ season opener. And maybe much more than that according to Jim Eichenhofer of Hornets.com:
Eric Gordon out vs. Spurs. Monty: “The way I understand it, he’s going to be out indefinitely, until we get more clarity on what’s going on”
Gordon’s coming off a season in which he only played in 9 of the Hornets 66 games after being traded to New Orleans from the Clippers. The season before he only played in 56 of 82 contests and has already missed 107 games in his four year career. Durability is not a strong suit of his so, in a way, this is not a surprise. But, this is now your max salaried player and having him unavailable with no certain date of return is not only concerning but frustrating if you’re a Hornets fan.
Monty Williams will turn to rookie Austin Rivers to start in Gordon’s stead. Rivers has been dealing with his own ankle issues but is ready to go and contribute. Free agent acquisition Roger Mason Jr. is also likely to see an uptick in minutes with Gordon on the shelf.
But none of that can truly compensate for Gordon being out. He’s their best perimeter player and, next to #1 overall pick Anthony Davis, the face of the franchise. Having him out for any extended period of time sets this team back and only continues to fuel any doubts about Gordon’s contract and durability. Here’s hoping he recovers soon. Not only for the Hornets’ sake, but for his own.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 7
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48