Oct 31, 2012, 7:45 AM EST
“Andy is a horse, man. He might win the Kentucky Derby by himself. I might have to saddle up and try and ride him to victory. That’s how strong of a leader he is.”
– Cavaliers’ forward Tristan Thompson after Anderson Varejao had a career best 23 rebounds (12 offensive) plus 9 points and 9 assists in Cleveland’s opening night victory. The last guy to put up 23 boards and 9 assists in a game? Charles Barkley in 1987.
If Varejao keeps playing anywhere close to the way he did in the opener — and remember he was a beast on the boards last season until he broke his wrist — his name is going to come up in trade rumors like it did in the LeBron era. just watch.
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 0
- Report: JaVale McGee close to signing with Celtics 25
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 17
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 13
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6