Oct 31, 2012, 7:45 AM EST
“Andy is a horse, man. He might win the Kentucky Derby by himself. I might have to saddle up and try and ride him to victory. That’s how strong of a leader he is.”
– Cavaliers’ forward Tristan Thompson after Anderson Varejao had a career best 23 rebounds (12 offensive) plus 9 points and 9 assists in Cleveland’s opening night victory. The last guy to put up 23 boards and 9 assists in a game? Charles Barkley in 1987.
If Varejao keeps playing anywhere close to the way he did in the opener — and remember he was a beast on the boards last season until he broke his wrist — his name is going to come up in trade rumors like it did in the LeBron era. just watch.
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 0
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 3
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 3
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 17
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)