Oct 31, 2012, 7:45 AM EDT
“Andy is a horse, man. He might win the Kentucky Derby by himself. I might have to saddle up and try and ride him to victory. That’s how strong of a leader he is.”
– Cavaliers’ forward Tristan Thompson after Anderson Varejao had a career best 23 rebounds (12 offensive) plus 9 points and 9 assists in Cleveland’s opening night victory. The last guy to put up 23 boards and 9 assists in a game? Charles Barkley in 1987.
If Varejao keeps playing anywhere close to the way he did in the opener — and remember he was a beast on the boards last season until he broke his wrist — his name is going to come up in trade rumors like it did in the LeBron era. just watch.
- Report: Tracy McGrady works out with Kobe, eyes return to NBA 0
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 4
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 9
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 5
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14