Oct 31, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
“I don’t care,” Cuban said before the Lakers’ season opener Tuesday against Dallas at Staples Center. “I just hope they suck….
“They’re like any other team,” Cuban said. “Obviously Nash is great. Kobe’s phenomenal. But it takes a team. They have to come together and play as a team. Hopefully they don’t figure it out.”
It’s safe to say they haven’t yet — Cuban’s Mavs outworked and outplayed the Lakers to win the opener 99-91.
Steve Nash deferred a lot, floated around the perimeter off the ball and generally didn’t impact the game as Kobe had the ball in his hands a lot. Dwight Howard couldn’t hit a free throw and looked a little slowed by his back. The Lakers bench and defensive rotations were unimpressive.
It’s one game. Remember the first game of the Heat’s big-three era? They lost by 8 to the Boston Celtics, but it didn’t feel that close at all. LeBron, Wade and Bosh looked confused playing together.
The older Lakers with their shorter contracts don’t have a couple of years to figure it out like the Heat, but it’s not going to happen overnight.
Smart Lakers watchers realized it. Lakers radio play-by-play man John Ireland was doing his local radio show and predicted the Lakers would start the season 13-6 and had caller after caller (not to mention his radio co-host Mychal Thompson) come on and say “no, they are going to be 18-2.” Because that’s how fans view the world.
But they learned a hard lesson Tuesday. You can’t rush chemistry.
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 20
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 7
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 18
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 21
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26