Oct 31, 2012, 9:34 AM EDT
This is Kevin Garnett’s act — he plays in some 1960s NBA where the players hate the opposing players on and off the court and want nothing to do with them. Fans eat it up because that’s how they feel even though often KG comes off as an a******.
Which brings us to last night, when Ray Allen entered the game for the Heat and went over and shook the hands of the coaches on the Celtics bench in a move that Celtics fans would have called classy if their guy did it but won’t for Benedict Allen. Of course, KG wasn’t playing that game and sat there arms folded.
So KG, what gives? From the Boston Globe:
“You know what man, I was just trying to stay as neutral as I could but obviously I’m an intense person. Other than it was blank, I just saw the Heat uniforms and obviously he’s on the other side and I just tried to play the game, man.”
Celtics fans already eat this up because he’s their guy and short of KG saying he eats puppies before games they’ll back whatever he says.
I’m tired of the act. I don’t buy the “I can’t like a guy off the court and go hard at him on it” crap — in your own life you don’t play harder in pickup against your friends than you do some random guy who jumped in the game? It is possible to be civil off the court and hard on it, all the guys on the Olympic team got a long great, you think Kobe Bryant is going to go easy on Kevin Durant because of it?
Whatever. I’m done with the whole Ray Allen/Celtics “feud” anyway. Clearly after that game the Celtics have bigger things to worry about anyway.
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 9
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 9
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71