Kevin Garnett tries to explain why he couldn’t shake Ray Allen’s hand

Oct 31, 2012, 9:34 AM EST

Brooklyn Nets v Boston Celtics Getty Images

This is Kevin Garnett’s act — he plays in some 1960s NBA where the players hate the opposing players on and off the court and want nothing to do with them. Fans eat it up because that’s how they feel even though often KG comes off as an a******.

Which brings us to last night, when Ray Allen entered the game for the Heat and went over and shook the hands of the coaches on the Celtics bench in a move that Celtics fans would have called classy if their guy did it but won’t for Benedict Allen. Of course, KG wasn’t playing that game and sat there arms folded.

So KG, what gives? From the Boston Globe:

“You know what man, I was just trying to stay as neutral as I could but obviously I’m an intense person. Other than it was blank, I just saw the Heat uniforms and obviously he’s on the other side and I just tried to play the game, man.”

Whatever.

Celtics fans already eat this up because he’s their guy and short of KG saying he eats puppies before games they’ll back whatever he says.

I’m tired of the act. I don’t buy the “I can’t like a guy off the court and go hard at him on it” crap — in your own life you don’t play harder in pickup against your friends than you do some random guy who jumped in the game? It is possible to be civil off the court and hard on it, all the guys on the Olympic team got a long great, you think Kobe Bryant is going to go easy on Kevin Durant because of it?

Whatever. I’m done with the whole Ray Allen/Celtics “feud” anyway. Clearly after that game the Celtics have bigger things to worry about anyway.

1. theghostofberniekosar - Oct 31, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I finally have a reason to like Kevin Garnett. He has every right to shun that fool.

2. greej1938l - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:15 PM

cmon Kurt….this is KG…its who he is!! I love it the public loves it! you want him to hug him….and say thanks for betraying us…cmon he reacted the way boston fans want him too.

• pantsfreezone - Oct 31, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Only douchebags love KG. He’s a dirty, classless player who is the biggest fake tough guy in the NBA. He always backs down from Udonis Haslem because UDub would mess KG up in a real altercation and Garnett knows it.

• spthegr8 - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:58 PM

AND yet another classy move by the C’s. No pun intended again!!!!!

3. packhawk04 - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Kurt, why does this bother you so much? I dont understand why this upsets you? Maybe, just maybe, kg has a little pride for what uniform he is wearing, and how the fans feel. i dont like the nba, but this makes me want to watch it more.

• gtswago - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:26 PM

KG and for that matter most players could care less what the fans think. He is a CHILD. nothing else explains why he would risk a “friendship” because someone changed jobs. KG changed jobs too. Fake tough guy.

4. bkunza - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:34 PM

KG is a punk! Always has been always will. Swears like a drunken sailor during games and doesn’t remember, he left the Timberwolves and they welcomed him back when he came to the twin cities. Hypocrite!

• kingjamesfan - Oct 31, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I hate hate hate KG but I will have to say your wrong about him in Minnesota. If you remember correct he didn’t want to be traded. I think he is very loyal to his team and fans. KG not wanting to talk to R. Allen is great for the game. Magic Bird and Jordan weren’t friends and neither should these guys. I’m so glad that Allen came to Miami to win another ring cause he knows that’s the only way he’s going to get another. Boston will never beat Miami in a 7 game series!

• bbgraf08 - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:03 PM

KG was traded. Totally different scenario. The word hypocrite, in this situation, is not applicable.

5. guyjenkins37 - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I’m a big Miami heat fan . But Garnett did nothing wrong
    . Leave him alone . It’s bad enough the NBA has been stripped
    Of it toughness atleast allow players to line who they want.
    Get a life Buddy !

6. guyjenkins37 - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:41 PM

*LIKE*

7. coolguyexplosion - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:48 PM

note to self – to become best writer possible, use whatever at the start of sentences, works like a charm.

8. giselleisasucubus - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Are you serious with this post? Sounds you Kurt is a member of the “lets give everyone a trophy and hug each other after the game crowd”. Sorry. KG holds a grudge and HE’S the a*****? Why? He cut his salary in half to keep the run going. They ask Ray to cut his pay by 3 mil, come off the bench like HE IS DOING w/Miami. He went diva, wanted more shots. Kurt, why do you ignore that part of it? One of the main reasons Garnett came to Boston was because Allen was traded there and Allen helped talk him into accepting the trade to Boston. I think is a part of why KG is pissed, and he has every right to be. Don’t ignore the whole story.

• gtswago - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:42 PM

It seems you have left out an important part of the story. Allen had been the constant subject of trade rumors. He was even told by Doc that he was traded before the deal ultimately fell through. Diva? He took less money and a lesser role to go somewhere where he is wanted. Ray Allen is a true professional always has been always will be. KG is a fraud.

9. hehateme2 - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Childish, immature and douchish….. that pretty much sums up KG. Everyone is blasting him on sports news today and for good reason.

10. armyproud - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:54 PM

You know this is America they are not in a war against each other. What ever happened to good sportsmanship. I thought that is what you were suppose to do. Play your hardest and do your best then show sportmanship win or loose. Little kids are watching and acting just like those big egos. If they want war then drop out and go to the military.
    I am a KY fan and liked seeing what Rondo has been able to acomplish but acting like that is disgusting. Grow up already!!!!! All of you.

11. bosshogg3 - Oct 31, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Why in the middle of a game should he be hugging and high fiving an opponent. At that time you’re there to win not make friends

• gtswago - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Because the opponent is his so called friend and former teammate. And how intense could it have been since he was sitting on the bench?

12. thisisether - Oct 31, 2012 at 1:11 PM

read this article and I’m glad the majority of you guys don’t feel like the author…. KG doesn’t have to shake some guys hand DURING intense battle.

13. metalhead65 - Oct 31, 2012 at 1:20 PM

he should not have to explain anything. why would he want to be friends with a guy who signed with the celtics heated rivals for less money and talked nothing but trash about them since he left? maybe they were not the best of friends just because they were teammates like everybody thought. and 1 game does does not mean anything as far as how the season will go for either team. when they play again at boston and the heat lose does that mean the heat will have big issues?

14. mannyfresh209 - Oct 31, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Ray Allen was singing this song after the “shunning” from Garnett: Haters wanna hate. Lovers wanna love. I don’t even want, none of the above! I want to piss on you! Yes I do, oh yes it’s true, I’ll pee on you!

15. mannyfresh209 - Oct 31, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Meanwhile, I was singing this song after the same moment: Hustle hard, stack paper. It’s alright, y’all haters. It’s nothin, we major. You see me, hi Hater! Hi Hater! Hi Hater! You see me, hi Hater!

16. gostlcards5 - Oct 31, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Personally, I think both of them are asshats (KG is a mega-asshat), and I don’t really care about their feud.

However, as I think about it from the outside, I do think that KG holding it against Allen is stupid. The C’s have dangled him in trades for 2 years, and based on his story, this is the start of his broken relationship with Rondo. He took less money to go to a contender (and presumably the best one in the East), so that he could dictate the terms of his leaving the C’s, and not the other way around. Otherwise, he could’ve ended up in some purgatory like Toronto or Milwaukee, et al. Can’t say I blame Ray Ray for that…

17. thadaedalus82 - Oct 31, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I applaud KG. These guys make hundreds of millions of dollars so its nice to see a guy care about his team and not his friendship to other players. Some of you guys are calling KG a hypocrite bc he left Minn, but I don’t remember the Celtics being the team that stood in their way for a championship. I think people dislike the NBA bc its such a player driven league. We are suppose to baby players as fans. I miss the spirit of heated competition instead of the country club intramural league it is now. I understand why the players like the buddy system, I’m just not sure why fans support it? Thanks KG for being a throwback to the days of heated rivalry.

18. florida727 - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Wow, Kurt. Ever hear of the words “journalistic neutrality”?

Maybe I was watching a different video, but all I saw was Allen slapping one of the coaches on the back then turning away from KG and running onto the court. No extended handshake offer. No heading down the remainder of the bench to shake hands with other players. Just a brief interaction with the Celtics’ COACHES.

Besides, KG has a point. The guy ABANDONED his teammates, for what? More SELF-glory? I used to like Ray Allen. Now? No respect whatsoever. Jumping ship was a classless move. Take the easy way out, Ray. Way to man up. Takes a lot less effort to join a champion instead of trying to dethrone them, huh?

• miguel3557 - Feb 21, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Florida,

So you think it’s okay for members of a team to shun every former player who decided to sign a free-agent contract with another team. And you’re how old?

19. observingii - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:23 PM

KUM-BA-YA, KUM-BA-YA!

20. miamatt - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I truly can’t stand Garnett or Rondo, but this is classic ‘what side of the fence are you on’ stuff. Were I a Celtics fan I would eat it up. As a Heat fan (and basketball fan in general) I’m tired of this, it’s like Friday the 13th Part VIII…. but it’s great for the game.

We have a real, nasty, old-school rivalry on our hands folks. Appreciate it, whomever you root for.

21. rjmarrella - Oct 31, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I agree with KG. I remember when Stockton and Malone tried to shake Pippen and Jordan’s hands before game 1 of one of the finals match-up. Jordan and Pipp just stared at them. The series was over there. It’s good old fashioned gamesmanship ….

22. jayzus - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:17 PM

KG is a douche everyone who says otherwise is a Heat hater or a Celtic apologist.

I agree he doesn’t have to do anything he doesn’t want, like shake Allen’s hand or stay on the court and congratulate the Heat after the pounding they gave them in game 7 last year or even play clean and not take cheap shots, he doesn’t have to do any of those things but he can and will be called out on them.

I for one am glad the rest of his NBA years are going to be spent losing to the HEAT and being a sour, hating, angry excuse of a basketball player.

23. bozosforall - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM

KG is a Puh C…always was, always will be. His vajayjay must still hurt from losing to the Heat last season.

Kudos to Helin for calling a spayed a spayed. And yes, the spelling is intentional.

24. knowledge671 - Oct 31, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Ray Allen = Class Act… KG = Hater

25. quancao - Nov 1, 2012 at 9:44 AM

KG’s intensity is what makes him. He does not care about the large picture, or true friendship. For him, it’s all about basketball. Maturity wise, he’ll never be Ray Allen. His world is either black or white, no shades of grey … but that, too, will change when he sees Pierce or himself dispensed. That, too, will change, and then he will be thankful for the hand of a friend.

• miguel3557 - Feb 21, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Intensity has nothing to do with it. Michael Jordan was as intense as any basketball player I’ve ever seen, but he wasn’t a jerk like KG. Intense seems to be a new verbal substitute for “juvenile” or “infantile.” Every time I hear Jim Harbaugh try to excuse his childish sideline temper tantrums as manifestations of his intensity, I gag. KG is a scowling twit who conceives of himself as a bad ass, kind of like a 15-year old child who struts his stuff in the hopes of intimidating others.

I say it’s time for KG, Harbaugh and all the other athletes/coaches who can’t be act like adults or are unable to observe the courtesies of being human to grow the f’k up.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches