Is there friction between Eric Gordon, Hornets about his knee?

Oct 31, 2012, 6:41 PM EDT

Eric Gordon AP

We told you today that the Hornets Eric Gordon is out indefinitely with a bum knee, which means he will be sitting when the Hornets tip off the season Wednesday night against the Spurs. That is the same knee he missed most of last season with following surgery, the one that has slowed him all preseason. The same knee that the Hornets ignored when giving Gordon a max $58 million extension this summer.

What exactly is the problem with Gordon’s knee? Therein lies the rub.

Hornets GM Dell Demps was pretty vague about what is going on. Or when we might expect him back. Or anything Gordon related. From the Times-Picayune (as pointed out by Deadspin):

“He’s processing some information right now and he doesn’t have any comment,” Demps said, without discussing just what that information was. “We don’t have any comment right now. We’re processing information and we will, at the appropriate time, give a statement.”

Okay… “processing some information.” Not sure what that means exactly, but the tone was pretty terse. Coach Monty Williams, you want to shed some light on how Gordon is feeling and what is going on?

“He probably does feel pain; that would be the only reason why a guy can’t play,” Williams said. “For me to try to read an MRI … I’ll find out more as we go forward. I try to not get into all that because that would just make me upset…

“I’ve checked with Doc,” Williams said, “but for him to explain to me what’s going on with his body and then have Eric feel a certain way doesn’t matter. You know what I’m saying? If Doc says one thing and the guy is feeling another, then you have to . . . what am I supposed to say?

“I’m sure it’s got to be medical. A guy just can’t not play. It’s got to be medical. At this point of the year, everybody is excited to play. I’m sure it’s medical.”

It sounds a whole lot like the Hornets doctors say Gordon is ready to go and he says he still has pain and is not. The problem is only the player really knows what he’s feeling. And like Williams said, it’s hard to imagine Gordon just sitting out because, that’s really not who he is. He’s a competitor.

But there seems to be a lot of friction between the Hornets and Gordon over how much friction is in his knee.

1. sunsation3413 - Oct 31, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Sounds like the Brandon Webb of basketball is beginning.

2. kfiz14 - Oct 31, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I’m disgusted we have a black president.

• cosanostra71 - Oct 31, 2012 at 7:42 PM

what

• raidmagic - Oct 31, 2012 at 8:33 PM

ummmm,ok?

• cullenand99 - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:14 PM

You know he’s half-white, right?

• Distinguished Male - Nov 1, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Obviously kfiz14 read the word “medical”, which got him thinking about medicare, which got him thinking about Obama, which got him thinking about how he’s the president, which got him thinking about how kfiz14 himself is kinda racist, which got him to remembering how he felt about the current situation. Hence, that sentence.

3. gmsalpha - Oct 31, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Gordon – My knee hurts! I don’t care what the MRI shows or doctors say!

Hornets – Congratulations! You’ve just been traded to Phoenix.

Gordon – Hey, my knee suddenly feels pretty good!!!

4. money2long - Oct 31, 2012 at 7:22 PM

seems like the real friction is happening in his knees, period.
    get well soon man.

5. sunsbolts7 - Oct 31, 2012 at 7:22 PM

He never wanted to return to the Hornets. Phoenix medical staff would’ve never given the team the green light to offer him a max deal if his knee was still an issue. Look at the Amare situation a couple years ago. Seems to me E.G. is doing what he can to get out of New Orleans.

• eugenesaxe - Oct 31, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Telling everyone you have a dead knee is the wrong way to get traded.

• nbascreed - Oct 31, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Not if everyone knows you’re bluffing.

• eugenesaxe - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:53 PM

@nbascreed: If you’re going to lie to your current team re: health, why would other teams believe anything you say on the topic?
        If he doesn’t want to be there that badly, there are better ways of getting your wish.

6. eugenesaxe - Oct 31, 2012 at 7:39 PM

He already got paid, he doesn’t need to play.

7. elnogo - Oct 31, 2012 at 8:20 PM

It seems to me like Vince Carte 2.0 all over trying to get out of toronto. They drafted Rivers they should’ve let him go.

8. raidmagic - Oct 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I don’t understand why they didn’t just trade him in the off season instead of resigning him. He clearly doesn’t want to be there and it’s not like they have a long history with him. Sometimes I wonder what these execs. are thinking.

9. trusports27 - Nov 1, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Not for nothing had he been playing last night hornets just might have won the game. They was in the game all four quarters. Hope knee gets better…..with E.G they got a.chance to compete

10. kylos13 - Nov 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM