Oct 31, 2012, 6:41 PM EDT
We told you today that the Hornets Eric Gordon is out indefinitely with a bum knee, which means he will be sitting when the Hornets tip off the season Wednesday night against the Spurs. That is the same knee he missed most of last season with following surgery, the one that has slowed him all preseason. The same knee that the Hornets ignored when giving Gordon a max $58 million extension this summer.
What exactly is the problem with Gordon’s knee? Therein lies the rub.
“He’s processing some information right now and he doesn’t have any comment,” Demps said, without discussing just what that information was. “We don’t have any comment right now. We’re processing information and we will, at the appropriate time, give a statement.”
Okay… “processing some information.” Not sure what that means exactly, but the tone was pretty terse. Coach Monty Williams, you want to shed some light on how Gordon is feeling and what is going on?
“He probably does feel pain; that would be the only reason why a guy can’t play,” Williams said. “For me to try to read an MRI … I’ll find out more as we go forward. I try to not get into all that because that would just make me upset…
“I’ve checked with Doc,” Williams said, “but for him to explain to me what’s going on with his body and then have Eric feel a certain way doesn’t matter. You know what I’m saying? If Doc says one thing and the guy is feeling another, then you have to . . . what am I supposed to say?
“I’m sure it’s got to be medical. A guy just can’t not play. It’s got to be medical. At this point of the year, everybody is excited to play. I’m sure it’s medical.”
It sounds a whole lot like the Hornets doctors say Gordon is ready to go and he says he still has pain and is not. The problem is only the player really knows what he’s feeling. And like Williams said, it’s hard to imagine Gordon just sitting out because, that’s really not who he is. He’s a competitor.
But there seems to be a lot of friction between the Hornets and Gordon over how much friction is in his knee.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 18
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 19
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4