Dwyane Wade calls Rondo’s flagrant foul a ‘punk play’

Oct 31, 2012, 1:21 AM EDT

With 16 seconds remaining in the Heat’s opening night victory over the Celtics, Rajon Rondo grabbed Dwyane Wade around the neck on a drive, earning a flagrant foul-one call from the officials.

The play was clearly made out of frustration, and was an unnecessary one with the Heat up by 11 with so little time left and the game already in the win column for the Heat. As you might imagine, Wade didn’t appreciate the move, and even looked like he was thinking about throwing the ball at Rondo to retaliate.

Wade was able to remain composed in the moment, but had strong words for his opponent afterward, and let it be known that the play will be remembered when the two teams meet next.

From Brian Windhorst of ESPN.com:

“I got my kids watching so I stopped myself but it was a punk play by him,” said Wade, who had a team-best 29 points in the win. “He clotheslined me.”

Wade hinted he might have a response the next time the teams play on Jan. 27 in Boston.

“I’m here to play basketball, man,” Wade said. “If you want to do something else, then go do something else. Boxing, this is not it. I was glad I was able to stop myself in that very moment and move on from it. We’ll see next time we play.”

As LeBron James said afterward in the same piece, “It wasn’t a basketball play.”

Simply put, these two teams honestly don’t like each other. And this play, along with the whole Ray Allen saga will only make the hate grow stronger as the season progresses — which will make it that much more interesting to the rest of us, and a lot of fun to watch.

1. trickybastard - Oct 31, 2012 at 11:25 AM

And we all know basketball players can’t box

• jimeejohnson - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Don’t tell Charles Barkley!

• trickybastard - Nov 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

never seen barkley land a punch

2. scalfor3 - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Dwyane Wade calls Rondo’s flagrant foul a ‘punk play’

Rondo responded by telling Wade that his lens-less glasses frames look stupid

3. paulhargis53 - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Southbeachtalent: You’d know all about things getting shoved down your throat, wouldn’t you? You savage!!

4. jesweeney11 - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:56 PM

If that is Wade’s criteria then would driving to the hoop with 14 seconds left in the game and up by 11 be a PUNK move? Wade was trying to make a statement and Rondo MADE a statement.

I cant’ stand Wade to begin with so much I won’t even draft him in my fantasy league. This is really starting to be a rivalry and all it means is that game 1 is in the books. Lot’s, lot’s, lot’s more games to be played

• badintent - Nov 1, 2012 at 12:32 AM

So Wade, what do we call you breaking Kobe’s nose in a freaking All-Star game ?? A Double punk move ? I like the Heat but Wade’s a hypocrite.
      Pathetic

5. cibolomatt - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Here is some good punk basketball. Hi pot, my name is kettle.

I like on this one how the announcer first says Wade “pulls down Rondo”

6. bill8600 - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:05 PM

The NBA’s privileged super punk complaining about a “punk play”.

7. jjordannba - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I think we have to take Wade’s word here; he does know what he’s talking about when it comes to punk plays.

8. jayzus - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Boston calling anybody punks is priceless KG is a the biggest punk in the NBA. Rondo is of the same ilk and “where’s my wheel chair” Pierce would be a Oscar winning actor if he was better looking than road kill.

9. knowledge671 - Oct 31, 2012 at 11:49 PM

very unprofessional by Rondo… He looked like he was tired of losing and wanted to take his ball and go home! Straight up Punk!

10. realninerfan22 - Nov 1, 2012 at 11:49 AM

You guys are a bunch of losers. Wade wud probley beat all you guys asses. D wade is no punk, Being from the southside of chicago there’s no punks over there. You guys hate on a 2 time champ, lol who lbj came to, to get a ring from. He has one of the baddest gf in the game not to mention he’s RICH!!! Most of u losers probley are still virgins.

Wizards playing spoiler in East