Oct 31, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
After a dismal opening night performance at home in a loss to Dallas, the Lakers will take to the road for their second game in as many nights against a Blazers team that’s ready and waiting.
There was plenty wrong with L.A. on Tuesday — the offense was horrid, and the defense (if you want to call it that) was even worse. Steve Nash had a rough outing trying to run the new offense instead of doing what he does best, and Dwight Howard fouled out, missed a couple of dunks we would normally expect him to convert, and shot a miserable 3-of-14 from the free throw line.
That last part is important, because just two games into the young season, a Lakers opponent is going to try to exploit that weakness to its advantage.
— blazerbanter (@blazerbanter) October 31, 2012
Can you blame them?
Howard has such a physical advantage over most teams that he can post numbers even when not playing that well overall. And, still finding his way back to 100 percent from the back surgery he underwent over the summer, his athleticism isn’t fully there, and the team as a whole (Howard included) is still figuring out its defensive rotations.
WIth all of that being said, if you’re the Blazers starting an undersized front line of Nicolas Batum, LaMarcus Aldridge, and J.J. Hickson (as they did in the team’s preseason finale), you want Howard off the floor as much as possible.
Grinding the game to a halt and forcing him to shoot (and miss) a ton of free throws is certainly one way to get that desired result.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan “on verge ” of taking max deal to join Dallas Mavericks 0
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 9
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 7
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 4
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 10
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0