Oct 30, 2012, 9:40 PM EDT
It’s only opening night, and I’m already sick of the burgeoning feud between Ray Allen and the Boston Celtics. We get it — Boston fans (and apparently teammates) aren’t pleased with Allen’s decision to leave to go to the one team that primarily stands in the Celtics’ way of getting back to the NBA Finals.
But hey, free agency is all about choice. And if you’re Ray Allen, and the starting point guard on your current team essentially hates you, and that same team has engaged in trade talks with you multiple times in separate seasons, leaving to go to the defending world champions seems like a pretty easy decision to make.
Nevertheless, Kevin Garnett sees life differently. No surprise there, but completely cutting ties with a veteran teammate — including pretending to lose his phone number — isn’t exactly the most mature way to handle things.
Garnett continued along that path on Tuesday, when Allen checked into the game for the first time and went over to the Celtics’ bench to extend a gesture of good sportsmanship, as well as greet his former coworkers — some of which he spent the last five seasons with.
As seen in the video above, Garnett completely ignores Allen, and Allen immediately moves on when he gets the reaction from Garnett that he was likely expecting.
We’re done with this now, right? Allen can stop holding press conferences about the topic and pouring his heart out to anyone who will listen, and the Celtics can stop responding like a scorned ex-girlfriend.
At least until the postseason, when we’ll undoubtedly have to revisit all of this again should these two teams meet in a best-of-seven series.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 21
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 18
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead