Oct 30, 2012, 9:40 PM EDT
It’s only opening night, and I’m already sick of the burgeoning feud between Ray Allen and the Boston Celtics. We get it — Boston fans (and apparently teammates) aren’t pleased with Allen’s decision to leave to go to the one team that primarily stands in the Celtics’ way of getting back to the NBA Finals.
But hey, free agency is all about choice. And if you’re Ray Allen, and the starting point guard on your current team essentially hates you, and that same team has engaged in trade talks with you multiple times in separate seasons, leaving to go to the defending world champions seems like a pretty easy decision to make.
Nevertheless, Kevin Garnett sees life differently. No surprise there, but completely cutting ties with a veteran teammate — including pretending to lose his phone number — isn’t exactly the most mature way to handle things.
Garnett continued along that path on Tuesday, when Allen checked into the game for the first time and went over to the Celtics’ bench to extend a gesture of good sportsmanship, as well as greet his former coworkers — some of which he spent the last five seasons with.
As seen in the video above, Garnett completely ignores Allen, and Allen immediately moves on when he gets the reaction from Garnett that he was likely expecting.
We’re done with this now, right? Allen can stop holding press conferences about the topic and pouring his heart out to anyone who will listen, and the Celtics can stop responding like a scorned ex-girlfriend.
At least until the postseason, when we’ll undoubtedly have to revisit all of this again should these two teams meet in a best-of-seven series.
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 6
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 10
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 26
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 67
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 23
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10