Scottie Pippen wants to be an NBA head coach. Yes, he’s serious.

Oct 30, 2012, 2:59 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Miami Heat - Game Three Getty Images

We’d laugh at the prospects of a guy who was a once impressive player but now just wants to be a head coach without any coaching experience… except we look to Golden State and we realize anything is possible.

So why not Scottie Pippen, NBA head coach?

The Hall of Famer wants the job, he said in an interview on ESPN Chicago radio (transcribed by ESPNChicago.com).

“It is (my goal to be head coach),” Pippen said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “I still enjoy the game. I’m around the game. I’m a guy that has always loved basketball, and I love being a part of it.”

What would make that even better for him? If it were a team that brought in Phil Jackson to be the general manager, he said. Scottie and Jackson together again, just like the old days.

“That would be great,” Pippen said. “Phil is a great person, a great mind for the game and I know he still wants to be a part of the game, so if that scenario were to happen, yes, it would be great to be able to work for a guy who’s been your mentor throughout your career.”

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again — Phil Jackson would make a terrible GM. Consultant and guy who comes in and does a few community relations events a year, that could make sense. Jackson has a feel for team building like few others. But the day-to-day grind work of being a GM? Not any more.

I have to say this: If Pippen cot to be a coach before Patrick Ewing — who has paid his dues as an assistant coach for years and deserves a shot in the big chair — then the league’s hiring process is more screwed up than we all think it is.

Pippen is at least admitting that this dream of coaching is not exactly close to reality right now.

Asked if during the offseason he was close to becoming a coach, Pippen said: “No, I don’t think so. I just think it was some rumors that got out there. Nothing really stuck. I can’t say I sat down to talk to any team about being a head coach.”

But a guy can dream, can’t he?

1. lew24 - Oct 30, 2012 at 3:11 PM

He would be awesome! I am looking forward to him drawing up a play at the end of the game and one of his star players refusing to take the court because he wasn’t getting the ball. I wonder how he handles that one!

• vero1402 - Oct 30, 2012 at 9:54 PM

“one of his star players”
      who’s the other star players on that bulls team?
      Kukoc whom Pippen destroyed in the olympic?
      Pippen was the only star on that team

2. thundersandpackers - Oct 30, 2012 at 4:06 PM

He could coach for Jordan……….or maybe not

3. dls612 - Oct 30, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Normally when Ur coached by the best the chances are u may have some success , but then again magic tried so….

• zhangocracy - Oct 30, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Name a single champion coach that was a star player to prove your declaration of normalcy. Didn’t think so.

• dls612 - Oct 30, 2012 at 8:04 PM

My comment is directed to any former player that wanna coach! Being a star player has nothing to do with it, but being a former player does! I used magic as an example because I wanted to! Sorry I didn’t have time to make a list of who succeeded and who did not!

• tcclark - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Billy Cunningham
        Bill Russell
        Pat Reilly
        Tom Heinsohn
        Rudy Tomjanovich
        Bill Sharman
        Lenny Wilkens

Just to name a few

4. pacific123ocean - Oct 30, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Yes! I hope somebody gives him a chance.

5. lakerluver - Oct 30, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Bill Laimbeer, Michael Cooper, Pat Ewing and several other former players deserve a head coaching job before Pip.

6. 91devinhester23 - Oct 30, 2012 at 4:38 PM

i think he’d be obsessed with trying to get the second best player on the team some glory…

7. rajbais - Oct 30, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Again, there’s a difference between dreaming and getting the job.

What’s the big deal?

8. Gordon - Oct 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM

He actually brought this up a few years ago. I think it was in the period between Skiles & Vinnie (or Vinnie & Thibs).

He even went as far to say that he didn’t think it was that difficult a transition from never being a coach at any level, to being an NBA head coach.

He refused to even consider being an assistant coach. He was a fantastic player, but he’d be an awful coach.

9. badintent - Oct 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM

IF Mark Jackson can get a head coaching job, ANYTHING is possible.

10. watermelon1 - Oct 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Jordan WOULD have given him a shot. But not after the random disses through the media well after their playing days were over.

11. amehta256 - Oct 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Holy cow I laughed hard when I read this… Is this the same guy who didn’t want to come in during the final seconds of a playoff game vs. the Knicks? Now he wants to coach? I would rather hire Kwame Brown.

12. rueg10 - Oct 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM

lakers need to bring in phil to replace kup, and give scottie a shot… anything is better than that tool mike brown.

• mytthor - Oct 30, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Yeah better replace Kupchak, gotta hate when a guy keeps putting you in a position to win championships.

13. amehta256 - Oct 30, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Haha Mike Brown has to be the least respected coach in the NBA. When I think good coach, I think Doc Rivers, Greg P, or Scott Brooks… Rest are just there to fill a position.

14. lakerluver - Oct 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM

You guys kill me with the Mike Brown criticisms. You act like its easy to coach a team to a title. George Karl is considered a very good coach and has done it a lot longer than Brown. How many titles has he won? Same with Doug Collins. Larry Brown’s considered a coaching genius and only has one ring. Erik Spoelstra would’ve been fired in his 1st year in Miami if Riley had listened to some of you “experts”. Most NBA people I’ve heard discuss Mike Brown say he’s a good coach. With some of you he will never win. It was all LeBron who got the Cavs to the Finals. And if Brown wins a ring with the LAKERS it’s because he has 4 HOF’ers. If he doesn’t win he’s a bum.

15. elnogo - Oct 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Larry Bird is a legend and he won coach of the year and went to the finals.

16. staff2cj - Oct 30, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Is Scottie broke?

17. ajnoyz - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I think Pip would do just fine as a head coach and I think he can imply the dynamics of the old Chicago Bulls that won 6 championships. So, Pip should be given a shot.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches