Oct 30, 2012, 2:59 PM EDT
We’d laugh at the prospects of a guy who was a once impressive player but now just wants to be a head coach without any coaching experience… except we look to Golden State and we realize anything is possible.
So why not Scottie Pippen, NBA head coach?
“It is (my goal to be head coach),” Pippen said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “I still enjoy the game. I’m around the game. I’m a guy that has always loved basketball, and I love being a part of it.”
What would make that even better for him? If it were a team that brought in Phil Jackson to be the general manager, he said. Scottie and Jackson together again, just like the old days.
“That would be great,” Pippen said. “Phil is a great person, a great mind for the game and I know he still wants to be a part of the game, so if that scenario were to happen, yes, it would be great to be able to work for a guy who’s been your mentor throughout your career.”
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again — Phil Jackson would make a terrible GM. Consultant and guy who comes in and does a few community relations events a year, that could make sense. Jackson has a feel for team building like few others. But the day-to-day grind work of being a GM? Not any more.
I have to say this: If Pippen cot to be a coach before Patrick Ewing — who has paid his dues as an assistant coach for years and deserves a shot in the big chair — then the league’s hiring process is more screwed up than we all think it is.
Pippen is at least admitting that this dream of coaching is not exactly close to reality right now.
Asked if during the offseason he was close to becoming a coach, Pippen said: “No, I don’t think so. I just think it was some rumors that got out there. Nothing really stuck. I can’t say I sat down to talk to any team about being a head coach.”
But a guy can dream, can’t he?
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 3
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 29
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games