Oct 30, 2012, 2:59 PM EDT
We’d laugh at the prospects of a guy who was a once impressive player but now just wants to be a head coach without any coaching experience… except we look to Golden State and we realize anything is possible.
So why not Scottie Pippen, NBA head coach?
“It is (my goal to be head coach),” Pippen said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “I still enjoy the game. I’m around the game. I’m a guy that has always loved basketball, and I love being a part of it.”
What would make that even better for him? If it were a team that brought in Phil Jackson to be the general manager, he said. Scottie and Jackson together again, just like the old days.
“That would be great,” Pippen said. “Phil is a great person, a great mind for the game and I know he still wants to be a part of the game, so if that scenario were to happen, yes, it would be great to be able to work for a guy who’s been your mentor throughout your career.”
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again — Phil Jackson would make a terrible GM. Consultant and guy who comes in and does a few community relations events a year, that could make sense. Jackson has a feel for team building like few others. But the day-to-day grind work of being a GM? Not any more.
I have to say this: If Pippen cot to be a coach before Patrick Ewing — who has paid his dues as an assistant coach for years and deserves a shot in the big chair — then the league’s hiring process is more screwed up than we all think it is.
Pippen is at least admitting that this dream of coaching is not exactly close to reality right now.
Asked if during the offseason he was close to becoming a coach, Pippen said: “No, I don’t think so. I just think it was some rumors that got out there. Nothing really stuck. I can’t say I sat down to talk to any team about being a head coach.”
But a guy can dream, can’t he?
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3