Ray Allen admits he doesn’t know what to expect in opener

Oct 30, 2012, 1:59 PM EDT

Miami Heat's Ray Allen moves against New Orleans Hornets' Al-Farouq Aminu in the first half of their NBA basketball game in Miami, Florida Reuters

In Boston, they assume that “Benedict Allen” has a heart two sizes too small, or he wouldn’t have turned his back on the Celtics this summer and joined the hated Heat.

But life is never that clean and simple. Despite all the sniping back and forth between between Miami and Boston.

Ray Allen admitted that he doesn’t really know what to expect or exactly how he’ll feel when the Heat open the season Tuesday night against those very same Boston Celtics. From CSNNE.com.

“You always have so many different types of emotions when the season starts,” Allen said. “Obviously for me, it’s so many different ones. I’m excited for these guys having spent time around them over the last two, three months, getting to know them and their families. I’m happy for them that they won, but at the same time they beat me and put us (Celtics) out. I understand the emotions that Boston will feel watching the ceremony but at the same time I’m excited for these guys.”

The Heat are going to get their rings in front of the Celtics, then the Heat will begin their title defense against the team they beat in seven games in the Eastern Conference finals.

Allen wants to beat his old team. He wants another ring — he jumped to Miami because he thought he had a better shot at one there and he could play a bigger role in getting it. Allen doesn’t like to lose.

But don’t think this is a grudge match Tuesday night.

“These guys are my friends,” Allen said. “You guys think that I have some type of animosity or bad blood against them; I don’t. I’ve said it time and time again, we’ve shared probably the most special thing you can do in sports … going all the way to the top. That’s always going to be number one closest to my heart. When I see Paul, I’m not going to be angry at him or anybody else. I’m happy. I’m excited. I look forward to seeing all these guys.”

Allen is going to be disappointed because I don’t think Kevin Garnett wants to come over and sing “Kumbaya” after the game.

1. sellahh - Oct 30, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I, for one, hope Ray gets flattened by a moving screen from KG, the one that freed up him so many times.

• jt1138 - Oct 30, 2012 at 2:46 PM

This is what’s wrong with a lot of NBA fans. What if he had gotten traded like he was at the deadline last year? Or two years ago? You wouldn’t be thinking this way if that had happened. But because he was a FREE agent, you have to go and hate him for leaving a team that didn’t give him minutes and tried to trade him multiple times after all he had done.

• jjordannba - Oct 30, 2012 at 3:05 PM

??? Ray Allen got plenty of minutes. Even off the bench for the C’s he still got starter minutes

• sellahh - Oct 30, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I’m not even a Celtic fan so there goes your point. And who are you to judge what’s wrong and what’s right amongst NBA fans?

2. jrillah10 - Oct 30, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I love Celtics fans. This is what sport is about. You are to love the jersey not the player. Unlike most Heat fans (no disrespect to real Heat fans), they follow players, not teams. I can’t wait until LeBron leaves.

• pantsfreezone - Oct 30, 2012 at 4:09 PM

You love them because you don’t know anything about basketball history. Boston fans were the most racist scumbags back before the modern era began. They are classless, clueless and they deserve the least amount of respect you can garner for a fan base. They cry about everything from the refs to a star player that was treated like a reserve player leaves their terrible team to join a winner. I can guarantee if/when LeBron leaves Miami, Heat fans will applaud him anytime he re-renters the arena. Same for UDub, Wade and just like we do it for Zo. Miami Heat fans were loyal to Glenn Rice and James Posey even after they left the organization.

I’ve said it before Celtics fans are, like the Celtics announcers and that insufferable Bill Simmons, the absolute worst.

3. southbeachtalent - Oct 30, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Expect a victory!

4. reesesteel23 - Oct 30, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Most Heat fans follow players, not teams? Do you just make that up? Doesnt make much sense to me. Odds are, you wouldn’t be saying that if someone besides Lebron went to Miami. My guess is another Lebron Hater in denial.

• jrillah10 - Oct 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Maybe that came off wrong. What I was trying to say was, I didn’t know that all these Heat fans existed until LeBron walked through the door. Now everyone loves the Heat. And I am not a LeBron hater. I’m a Heat hater. Being that I am a Magic fan, you can see why.

5. lakerluver - Oct 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM

@jrillah10
    Are there any “real” Heat fans? Miami is full of transplants from other cities who are nothing but bandwagon “fans”. They cheer their teams win they’re winning and are indifferent towards them when they’re losing. Watch how fast they jump off the bandwagon in a few seasons when Wade is broken down and LBJ takes his talents to L.A., N.Y., or back to Cleveland.

• jrillah10 - Oct 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM

@LakerLuver…. I guess we will find out then. I would like to think this is not the case, but who knows. I have a hard time seeing anyone in the East knocking them off though.

• sportsinhd - Oct 30, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Do you really think the Heat are on TV because they play in Miami? They are on TV every other day because they have Lebron and D-Wade. More so than any other sports league the NBA is driven by stars. People are far more likely to cheer individuals than they are teams. Is it fun to watch King James? Of course, and that’s why people tune in. When Bosh, Wade, and Lebron leave Miami and it’s a lottery team again no one will be watching. I’m sure the Heat have real fans, but the majority of people wearing Heat stuff these days are James fans, not Miami fans.

Teams in big markets transcend that a little bit, but even the Lakers fell off the face of the earth before getting Shaq and Kobe. How many Celtics games were on TV during the M.L. Carr era?

• southbeachtalent - Oct 30, 2012 at 4:52 PM

speaking out of your @ss again huh? Clueless…

Good luck with Kobe/Nash and broke back Howard..

6. 1972wasalongtimeago - Oct 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM

All of you, blah blah blah blah blah (except my boy, southbeachtalent);

Only thing that matters is that a new flag’s gonna fly tonight. And it’s gonna fly forever!

7. halfbaht - Oct 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Ray can expect lots of cheering from me… when he makes a mistake #celticpride

8. lakerluver - Oct 30, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Yeah, that flag will fly forever. HOWEVER, the LAKERS have 16 banners that will “fly forever”. You can add up ALL of Miami’s pro franchises and they STILL won’t come close to that!!

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Oct 30, 2012 at 6:39 PM

There’s ONE going up tonight.

9. paulhargis53 - Oct 30, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Lakerluver, the flag that flies highest for you has many colors of the rainbow in it.

I see yove made some new fans here also.
    Man, you’re an ignorant fool. I don’t like the heat either, but the only flag that is relevant right now is the most recent one.

The lakers aren’t hoisting one anytime soon.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Oct 30, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Lets have some fun this year my friend.

I’ll kick it off by asking you, who won the men’s hoops Gold in London?

10. j0esixpack - Oct 30, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I may be in the minority but Ray Allen will always have my appreciation as a Celtics fan.

He was the first piece of the puzzle in Banner #17. If he doesn’t agree to the trade, KG doesn’t come here and the Ubuntu doesn’t happen.

Whether he turned his back on Ubuntu in 2012 is another matter,but he has my thanks and appreciation for what he brought to the Celtics in his time here.

Seems to me he’s having a hard time accepting his diminishing skills, and I think the Celtics have upgraded with Bradley and Terry, but time will tell.

Regardless, let me say “thank you, Ray” even as I root against you when playing the Celts, I will root for you personally in every other game.

11. amehta256 - Oct 30, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I hope heat win by 3 and ray Allen hits game winner

12. paulhargis53 - Oct 30, 2012 at 8:56 PM

1972: There was an Olympics this year?
    lol…

13. lakerluver - Oct 30, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Take every championship won by EVERY state of Flirida team, college AND pro, add them up and they still wouldn’t equal up to the amount of titles the LAKERS have won!! Go away, Miami/Florida, and come back after you’ve won consistently for awhile.

14. lakerluver - Oct 30, 2012 at 9:23 PM

You clowns talk as if the LAKERS haven’t won a title in 20 years!! It’s been exactly two.

15. lakerluver - Oct 30, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Ok, I retract that statement, the LAKERS haven’t won more championships than the entire state of Florida. Close, but not quite. But if you subtract all the college championships state of Florida teams fraudulently won it wouldn’t even be close!!

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview