Oct 30, 2012, 1:59 PM EDT
In Boston, they assume that “Benedict Allen” has a heart two sizes too small, or he wouldn’t have turned his back on the Celtics this summer and joined the hated Heat.
But life is never that clean and simple. Despite all the sniping back and forth between between Miami and Boston.
“You always have so many different types of emotions when the season starts,” Allen said. “Obviously for me, it’s so many different ones. I’m excited for these guys having spent time around them over the last two, three months, getting to know them and their families. I’m happy for them that they won, but at the same time they beat me and put us (Celtics) out. I understand the emotions that Boston will feel watching the ceremony but at the same time I’m excited for these guys.”
The Heat are going to get their rings in front of the Celtics, then the Heat will begin their title defense against the team they beat in seven games in the Eastern Conference finals.
Allen wants to beat his old team. He wants another ring — he jumped to Miami because he thought he had a better shot at one there and he could play a bigger role in getting it. Allen doesn’t like to lose.
But don’t think this is a grudge match Tuesday night.
“These guys are my friends,” Allen said. “You guys think that I have some type of animosity or bad blood against them; I don’t. I’ve said it time and time again, we’ve shared probably the most special thing you can do in sports … going all the way to the top. That’s always going to be number one closest to my heart. When I see Paul, I’m not going to be angry at him or anybody else. I’m happy. I’m excited. I look forward to seeing all these guys.”
Allen is going to be disappointed because I don’t think Kevin Garnett wants to come over and sing “Kumbaya” after the game.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 15
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 13
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 16
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 23
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80