Oct 30, 2012, 4:53 PM EST
George Karl should be happy about the distraction being gone.
Ty Lawson — the young Nuggets starting point guard — tweeted that he has reached a deal with the Denver Nuggets. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network tweeted that the deal was four years at $48 million.
It Looks like im going to be a nugget for another 4 yrs..Thanks to the Kronke family, Masai, nuggets fans and everybody 4 believing In me 😎
— Ty Lawson (@TyLawson3) October 30, 2012
While $12 million a year for Lawson is not getting him at a steal, it’s not really overpaying either. It’s at the top end of his range, but within it (compared to other NBA point guards). With this the Nuggets have locked down Danilo Galinari, JaVale McGee, Wilson Chandler and Lawson. Andre Iguodala can become a free agent next summer (he has an early termination option) and the Nuggets are going to have to pony up if they want to keep him as well. So you better like that young core, Nuggets fans.
They should like Lawson and that he has been extended. Lawson is about as quick a point guard as there is in the league, which is good on a team that will be near the top of the league in pace. Last season he averaged 16.4 points per game, shot 36.5 percent from thee and had 6.6 assists per game. He was inconsistent, but I’ll chalk that up to him being 24 at this point. He showed a lot in the playoffs last season, taking over games, and that shows a lot more to me than some regular season foibles.
Of all the guys Denver has locked down, this is the smallest risk and best fit. In a West with Oklahoma City and the Lakers I’m not sold Denver is a contender, but they are going to be very good and very entertaining for years to come now.
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 2
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 1
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 5
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 1
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 6
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 25
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 11