Nuggets, Ty Lawson agree to 4-year, $48 million extension

Oct 30, 2012, 4:53 PM EDT

Ty Lawson AP

George Karl should be happy about the distraction being gone.

Ty Lawson — the young Nuggets starting point guard — tweeted that he has reached a deal with the Denver Nuggets. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network tweeted that the deal was four years at $48 million.

While $12 million a year for Lawson is not getting him at a steal, it’s not really overpaying either. It’s at the top end of his range, but within it (compared to other NBA point guards). With this the Nuggets have locked down Danilo Galinari, JaVale McGee, Wilson Chandler and Lawson. Andre Iguodala can become a free agent next summer (he has an early termination option) and the Nuggets are going to have to pony up if they want to keep him as well. So you better like that young core, Nuggets fans.

They should like Lawson and that he has been extended. Lawson is about as quick a point guard as there is in the league, which is good on a team that will be near the top of the league in pace. Last season he averaged 16.4 points per game, shot 36.5 percent from thee and had 6.6 assists per game. He was inconsistent, but I’ll chalk that up to him being 24 at this point. He showed a lot in the playoffs last season, taking over games, and that shows a lot more to me than some regular season foibles.

Of all the guys Denver has locked down, this is the smallest risk and best fit. In a West with Oklahoma City and the Lakers I’m not sold Denver is a contender, but they are going to be very good and very entertaining for years to come now.

1. lakerluver - Oct 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Idk, seems like too much for a player who’s two inches shorter than Spud Webb.

• jjordannba - Oct 30, 2012 at 5:20 PM

What does height have to do with it?

• jjordannba - Oct 30, 2012 at 5:22 PM

And he is not 2 inches shorter than Spudd Webb anyway, try 3 inches taller.

2. dalucks - Oct 30, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I would disagree with the not overpaying for Ty Lawson perspective based upon this observation. In my opinion, he is barely a top 15 point guard and Rajon Rondo, who arguably is the best point guard in the NBA, only makes 11 million dollars on average per year. Do you think Ty Lawson is a better point guard then Rajon Rondo?

• 4thquartermagic - Oct 30, 2012 at 6:02 PM

What your observation fails to take into account is the system the Nuggets run and how perfectly Ty Lawson fits into it.
      Not every point guard has the speed and ability that Lawson possesses.

Also you fail to recognize that Lawson hasn’t played his best ball yet. He started to hit the 3-ball consistently late last year while also hitting a couple game winners.

Skys the limit for this kid. Good signing.

• jjordannba - Oct 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Well that’s in part because Rondo is a steal at his contract, Ainge signed him to that contract just before he broke out. He’ll likely be making way more than that next time around.

3. 4thquartermagic - Oct 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM

So you better like that young core, Nuggets fans.
    _________________________________________________________

We do… And you forgot #1 fan favorite Kenneth Faried. He’s locked in for the next 3 years and is a beast!

Every small market team should root for the Nuggets to succeed.

4. dalucks - Oct 30, 2012 at 5:38 PM

This contract is a sign that we will have another lockout in five seasons after this season. The same general managers who gave out bad contracts to players that caused the last lockout are still working and giving out bad contracts. When will the NBA learn?
    I do not blame the players for accepting contracts that overpay them, I blame the idiot general manager whose idea it was to overpay the player and his lying owner who agreed to it. I cannot feel any sympathy for self inflicted wounds.

5. narrabeen23 - Oct 30, 2012 at 6:14 PM

the comments on this board only serve as evidence that Ty Lawson is one of the most underrated player in the NBA

• moseskkim - Oct 30, 2012 at 7:25 PM

He’s an outstanding player. Super fast and very talented. I felt the contract was a steal. When jrue holiday is asking for the max, I thought Lawson would get it for sure. Dude can playy

6. dls612 - Oct 30, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Good for him, these are the type of players I like, they don’t let the fact that they are underrated bother them and they go out and play hard and compete against these big name players like LeBron, Kobe etc. Not afraid to show that they belongs! Good move!

7. lakerluver - Oct 30, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Ok, I was being sarcastic when I said he’s shorter than Spud! I actually like Lawson. He always give my LAKERS trouble. However, I’m still not convinced he’s anything special. Now that he has his big contract lets see if he keeps improving, stays the same, or regresses.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches