Dwight Howard says his back still feels “achy”

Oct 30, 2012, 12:43 PM EDT

Mike Brown, Dwight Howard AP

Dwight Howard will walk out on to the floor for the tip off of the NBA season Tuesday night, just like he and Lakers management — not to mention Lakers fans — wanted when they traded for him despite off-season back surgery.

But don’t mistake that for his back feeling 100 percent.

Howard told Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register not to confuse playing with being fully healed.

“My back’s strong enough, but it’s not about strength at this point,” said Howard, who had spinal surgery for a herniated disk on April 20. “It’s about endurance.”

“There are still days where it’s real achy,” Howard said, “and hard to move. And I just try to fight through it.”

This all comes back to Lakers coach Mike Brown,  he has a lot of star players he has to manage minutes for — Steve Nash and his back, Kobe Bryant and his foot (and knee and…), Pau Gasol coming off the Olympics and Howard and his back. This has not been Brown’s strong suit in Cleveland or last season in Los Angeles (Kobe and Gasol racked up heavy minutes) but this year he needs to think more like Doc Rivers and Gregg Popovich. Rest guys now to have them right when it matters.

You can’t have Howard talking about an achy back in May and June, when Brown and the Lakers will really be judged.

1. fanz928 - Oct 30, 2012 at 3:19 PM

If Dwight not ready don’t play in the season opener if you get hurt again it’s going to impact team even more

2. narrabeen23 - Oct 30, 2012 at 3:30 PM

waaaaaaaaaahhh!

3. paulhargis53 - Oct 30, 2012 at 6:39 PM

That’s funny, lakerluver said the same about his backside after his lifepartner left for work this morning….

• mytthor - Oct 30, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Wow! Homophobic insults on the internet! How’d you think of that revolutionary new concept?

4. jerdogthompson - Oct 30, 2012 at 7:16 PM

paulhargis

Man I gotta say, I think I find myself skipping these articles and go right to comments to see if youre ripping a poster a new one. I must say, you have a way of weaving a outright slam into a thinly veiled joke of sorts….keep’em coming.

Yep, cant wait to see the parade of stories that look much like this one except the “name” will change to “nash” says his back is hurty & burny or Jordan Hill says his herniated disk is flaring up again or………..Mamba says its not a bruised foot but rather a Lisfranc injury.

I could go on ad nauseum but I think all the Laker fans get my drift.

5. paulhargis53 - Oct 30, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Jerdog: Thanks man! Gotta say, I admire your work also. You are a liitle more eloquent than I am. I tend to skew sophmorish. I love that you present facts to these people and they have no answers, you’re just deemed a hater.

Keep up the good work, maybe between the 2 of us, we can learn these tools something.

6. paulhargis53 - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Mighty sore: It’s a gift. I’m funny. Get a sense of humor. How did the lakeshow Di last night? STFU litttle man.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches