Oct 30, 2012, 4:25 PM EDT
Matt Barnes, the Clippers’ best wing player during the preseason, has been suspended one game by the league after pleading no contest this summer to a misdemeanor following an arrest on outstanding traffic warrants.
Barnes will sit out the Clippers season opener Wednesday at home against the Memphis Grizzlies
Back in July Matt Barnes was picked up by an officer near his home in Manhattan Beach on outstanding traffic claims of $26,000 in unpaid fines and driving without a license. (Barnes was not driving at the time of his arrest.) The arrest escalated enough that the police charged him with resisting arrest.
As part of a plea deal, Barnes pled no contest and the charges were reduced to misdemeanors. He was put on probation and must complete 30 hours of community service and three months of counseling.
This kind of suspension is pretty common for the league following any arrest.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 6
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 7
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 38
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73