Oct 30, 2012, 4:25 PM EDT
Matt Barnes, the Clippers’ best wing player during the preseason, has been suspended one game by the league after pleading no contest this summer to a misdemeanor following an arrest on outstanding traffic warrants.
Barnes will sit out the Clippers season opener Wednesday at home against the Memphis Grizzlies
Back in July Matt Barnes was picked up by an officer near his home in Manhattan Beach on outstanding traffic claims of $26,000 in unpaid fines and driving without a license. (Barnes was not driving at the time of his arrest.) The arrest escalated enough that the police charged him with resisting arrest.
As part of a plea deal, Barnes pled no contest and the charges were reduced to misdemeanors. He was put on probation and must complete 30 hours of community service and three months of counseling.
This kind of suspension is pretty common for the league following any arrest.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25