Oct 30, 2012, 4:25 PM EDT
Matt Barnes, the Clippers’ best wing player during the preseason, has been suspended one game by the league after pleading no contest this summer to a misdemeanor following an arrest on outstanding traffic warrants.
Barnes will sit out the Clippers season opener Wednesday at home against the Memphis Grizzlies
Back in July Matt Barnes was picked up by an officer near his home in Manhattan Beach on outstanding traffic claims of $26,000 in unpaid fines and driving without a license. (Barnes was not driving at the time of his arrest.) The arrest escalated enough that the police charged him with resisting arrest.
As part of a plea deal, Barnes pled no contest and the charges were reduced to misdemeanors. He was put on probation and must complete 30 hours of community service and three months of counseling.
This kind of suspension is pretty common for the league following any arrest.
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 0
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 6
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 21