Oct 30, 2012, 4:25 PM EDT
Matt Barnes, the Clippers’ best wing player during the preseason, has been suspended one game by the league after pleading no contest this summer to a misdemeanor following an arrest on outstanding traffic warrants.
Barnes will sit out the Clippers season opener Wednesday at home against the Memphis Grizzlies
Back in July Matt Barnes was picked up by an officer near his home in Manhattan Beach on outstanding traffic claims of $26,000 in unpaid fines and driving without a license. (Barnes was not driving at the time of his arrest.) The arrest escalated enough that the police charged him with resisting arrest.
As part of a plea deal, Barnes pled no contest and the charges were reduced to misdemeanors. He was put on probation and must complete 30 hours of community service and three months of counseling.
This kind of suspension is pretty common for the league following any arrest.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9