Oct 29, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
Anyone looking for an athletic guard who isn’t a very good shooter getting paid $1.3 million this season? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? Beuller?
The Mavericks have been shopping 2010 first-round pick Dominique Jones without success, according to league sources, which means that the release of guard Delonte West remains the most likely roster moving coming from the team later Monday.
The Mavs need to trim their roster from 16 to 15 players by the league wide deadline of 4 p.m. Finding a taker for Jones would buy them more time to resolve the future of the suspended West, but sources told ESPN.com that – with no takers emerging for Jones – parting with West remains the most probable move to create a spot for Eddy Curry.
Curry will make the Mavs roster and be the opening night center.
This is all going to come down one way or another in the next few hours. But I think West is in trouble because: 1) He seems to have really pissed off Mavericks management; 2) Nobody wants Jones.
Jones got into just half of the Mavs games last season, averaged 2.7 points in those contests and shot 39.7 percent from the floor. He had a PER of 11.8. He played pretty well at Summer League but still it’s not going to be easy to find a taker for that.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 1
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 10
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 48
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional