Oct 29, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
Anyone looking for an athletic guard who isn’t a very good shooter getting paid $1.3 million this season? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? Beuller?
The Mavericks have been shopping 2010 first-round pick Dominique Jones without success, according to league sources, which means that the release of guard Delonte West remains the most likely roster moving coming from the team later Monday.
The Mavs need to trim their roster from 16 to 15 players by the league wide deadline of 4 p.m. Finding a taker for Jones would buy them more time to resolve the future of the suspended West, but sources told ESPN.com that – with no takers emerging for Jones – parting with West remains the most probable move to create a spot for Eddy Curry.
Curry will make the Mavs roster and be the opening night center.
This is all going to come down one way or another in the next few hours. But I think West is in trouble because: 1) He seems to have really pissed off Mavericks management; 2) Nobody wants Jones.
Jones got into just half of the Mavs games last season, averaged 2.7 points in those contests and shot 39.7 percent from the floor. He had a PER of 11.8. He played pretty well at Summer League but still it’s not going to be easy to find a taker for that.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 0
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 13
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2