Oct 29, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
Anyone looking for an athletic guard who isn’t a very good shooter getting paid $1.3 million this season? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? Beuller?
The Mavericks have been shopping 2010 first-round pick Dominique Jones without success, according to league sources, which means that the release of guard Delonte West remains the most likely roster moving coming from the team later Monday.
The Mavs need to trim their roster from 16 to 15 players by the league wide deadline of 4 p.m. Finding a taker for Jones would buy them more time to resolve the future of the suspended West, but sources told ESPN.com that – with no takers emerging for Jones – parting with West remains the most probable move to create a spot for Eddy Curry.
Curry will make the Mavs roster and be the opening night center.
This is all going to come down one way or another in the next few hours. But I think West is in trouble because: 1) He seems to have really pissed off Mavericks management; 2) Nobody wants Jones.
Jones got into just half of the Mavs games last season, averaged 2.7 points in those contests and shot 39.7 percent from the floor. He had a PER of 11.8. He played pretty well at Summer League but still it’s not going to be easy to find a taker for that.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13