Oct 29, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
Anyone looking for an athletic guard who isn’t a very good shooter getting paid $1.3 million this season? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? Beuller?
The Mavericks have been shopping 2010 first-round pick Dominique Jones without success, according to league sources, which means that the release of guard Delonte West remains the most likely roster moving coming from the team later Monday.
The Mavs need to trim their roster from 16 to 15 players by the league wide deadline of 4 p.m. Finding a taker for Jones would buy them more time to resolve the future of the suspended West, but sources told ESPN.com that – with no takers emerging for Jones – parting with West remains the most probable move to create a spot for Eddy Curry.
Curry will make the Mavs roster and be the opening night center.
This is all going to come down one way or another in the next few hours. But I think West is in trouble because: 1) He seems to have really pissed off Mavericks management; 2) Nobody wants Jones.
Jones got into just half of the Mavs games last season, averaged 2.7 points in those contests and shot 39.7 percent from the floor. He had a PER of 11.8. He played pretty well at Summer League but still it’s not going to be easy to find a taker for that.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25